Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

fly attacking hornworm

helenh
13 years ago

This is not my picture but I saw the exact thing just now. I googled fly attacking hornworm and found this. It is the same fly and it made the hornworm thrash about. It also rested and gave me a good look. It buzzed and I thought it was a bee when it was moving. It is a bigger fly than a housefly, but looks like an ordinary fly. I would have swatted it if it were in my house. Now I will look for more of these around my garden. I was thinking ofordering beneficial insects; I may have them already

http://bugguide.net/node/view/329735

Comments (6)

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am excited about this as you can tell. More on the same story.

Here is a link that might be useful: insect help

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Helen, I am glad you are so observant! I hope I have those flies around here. I will now be looking for them. Half my tomatoes are stripped and yet I can't find the blasted caterpillars.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The trouble with organic methods is that the hornworm it was attacking was a big fat guy already full of my tomatoes. Same when I find them. I don't see most of them until they are about ready to drop and dig into the soil. It was very interesting to me because I had read about these flies and the tiny wasps. It is a tough world out there, but interesting to watch.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

I hardly ever see hornworms and that may be the reason why. The hornworm you saw will keep eating but it won't mature and lay eggs later so at least it will keep next year's population in check.

I brought in a Gulf Fritillary chrysalis earlier this summer and wasps hatched out of it instead of a Gulf Frit. They were very tiny, about the size of large gnats and there were a lot of them.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought of you, Christie, when I read about this fly. People who were raising butterflies got flies instead. You like your butterflies and I do too. Caterpillars around here including cut worms for sure are my enemies for the most part; the striped stem borers are probably safe from these parasites and they are the worst. If I ever find a stink bug predator, I will be encouraging it.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Because of my darn Wii fit and that little voice that says I'm overweight, I have been trying to eat fruit. Three rotten bananas were put out to attract butterflies. I got different looking stinging insects, ants and lots of trachinid flies. It doesn't look very nice because there are other flies too and no room for butterflies - looks nasty but I'm letting them have it.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!