Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kadasuki

Hey Beerhog!

kadasuki
16 years ago

Long time no see,

Remember the Brugs you brought to me here in Bentonville fall 06?

Well, I wintered them in my garage and they survived fine. Put them last spring in garden. When winter 07 approached, just took cuttings as I had planted them and couldn't get thru the rock to get them out of the ground.

I figured they died after that late icestorm this past spring. Well, I went to pull up the dead stumps, and they were leafing out! The 3 little cuttings that survived in the garage were planted out. Now I have 4 big beautiful leafy shrubs!

No blooms, plants are about 4-4/12 feet tall and 3 across. Stems are big as my wrist. I'll never plant in ground again, just can't get them out. I can't even cut those thick stems with my pruners for cuttings! Will a saw be ok?

How old do they need to be to bloom? I remember you said there was a yellow one and a pink one. Any idea of names? I have no idea now which is which, we had surprise kittens born in our garage during the snow in February a year ago. They chewed up the fig you gave me and all the labels. Guess I'll be pleasantly surprised if and when they bloom. My thanks again. But please tell me what to do with them this winter as otherwise they'll likely die since they are so big.

Kat

Comments (3)

• beerhog
    16 years ago

Mine are blooming now. You can cut them with a saw. I just fertilize mine often and they are about 10 ft tall and huge. I think the yellow one is Charles Grimaldi. The yellow one has surrated edges on the leaves and the pink one is just spade shaped. I would just take cutting and leave them in the ground. I bet they come back.

• jjappleby
    16 years ago

Beerhog, do these get that big every year. They are beautiful. Where can you get them. I haven't posted here in a long time and missed it. Getting nice rain in Prairie Grove. Joy

• beerhog
    16 years ago

Yes, they get that big every year. Every couple of years I cut the root ball in half and remove half because they just keep getting in a bigger clump. Can probably get you some cuttings. you will have to keep them in this winter to root good.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!