Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aniseb

Lets hear it for Arkansas

peaceofmind
16 years ago

I just read this article written by a staffer on the San Francisco Chronicle after her visit to Arkansas. It reminded me of all the wonderful folks from Arkansas on this forum. I thought you might enjoy reading an outsiders perspective of the place you call home.

I laughed at her description of Branson as a religious Reno.

Anise

Here is a link that might be useful: an article about Arkansas

Comments (7)

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

very good article. the " good men gone astray" cracked me up!

thanks

william- in yellville who has gone astray!

• pauln
    16 years ago

William, tis better to go astray than to go ashtray.

Peaceofmind, thanks for sharing. The article was informative and suprisingly kind and fair. It's amazing how many urbanites just love it here. I know several folks who have moved from the Bay Area to our hills because of the prices and the peace. I've met several hikers on trails from parts way off. Many are doing a major stretch of the Ozark or Ouachita trails. If they're not in a big hurry I try to tell them of some other spots to visit on their way back home. In central AR, Petit Jean Mt. is a must see. It's right off the freeway and has the densest assortment of fabulous scenery imaginable. If they've got more time, the Buffalo River always pleases. Even when the water is down, the bluffs endure. Steele Creek, or Kyle's Landing under a full moon is a sight to behold. If someone is really special and has a couple or more days I share my secret places. I'm not gonna broadcast them right now, but may be coaxed into giving the occasional hint.

• gldno1
    16 years ago

What a nice article! I am only familiar with the upper part of the state, but find it absolutely beautiful.

I love the description of Branson....describes it perfectly...feel the same way about SDC. What we love is the natural beauty, once it becomes too commercial, it looses its appeal for us.

When you live in a part of country that we Ozarkers are fortunate enough to do, it just seems unnecessary to go on "vacation". We feel like we are on a perpetual one on the farm.

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Anise, what a delightful article especially for one who just spent 2 weeks in E TX and was glad to see these old hills again. Thanks for sharing,am going to share with a couple of relatives in TX who want to come up this way.
    vickie

• peaceofmind
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know what you mean, Vickie. We vacationed on the Gulf Coast of Texas many years ago and by the time we got back to Arkansas we felt like we had crossed over into the promised land.

Are you seeing much fall color in Arkansas? There is nothing much here in southwest Missouri. A few tree tops are showing color. I'm loving the fine autumn weather.

Anise

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

I finally read the Sf gal's article. I am a transplanted Idahoan, and have lived here 30 years...the first 1 and 1/2 in Jasper. Although her perspective on the Ozark's color is very good, several of her other 'takes' are incorrect, and may border on insulting.
    BTW, I will take a 'religious Reno" anytime, to an irreligious SF !
    I have eaten at the Ozark Cafe' many times, and never heard the tale about the political party's preferances. Also, I know they do not 'fry everything', espacially cheesecake!

I'm glad she said what she did about the "1" ramshackle home. Such places sre becoming a rarety here. The building of expensive homes has become the normal, even out in the boonies. Trashed yards are also rare ( and probably found in every U.S. state.)

Picturesque names are also found in many U.S states.

It is just another case of taking what is written with a pinch of salt.

Marian

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Anise, There is practically no color here in the leaves. The dogwoods and sourgums have turned but not bright colors. KLTV out of Fort Smith said last nite that the colors would be disappointing this year due to the hot weather we've had this month because the trees needed cooler weather in October to really color best.
    Maybe the weather will cool more for the hickorys later on and they will put on a good show. I'm injoying the cooler temps too with windows open and AC off.

Marian, A new goal of mine is to go eat at the Ozark cafe. I wonder how i knew that everything was'nt fried, could be because i never eat at fast food places and always at local cafes.LOL

I took a writing course once and learned a new term called writers license, whereby a writer to make an article more interesting can exaggerate a statement to make it more interesting. I beleive it's done frequently.

Right now i can think of Cut And Shoot, TX and Noname,TX.

I injoyed the article and all and all she was fair to us Arkies.
    vickie