Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keep Humming Bird feeders out in December for the Rufous

Posted by joeinmo 6b-7a (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 22:31

Recent migratory changes of the Rufous Hummingbird take a small but growing amount right through southern Missouri. Normally these hummers travel from Mexico to Alaska and can survive colder temperatures. Recently starting in the 1990's increasing numbers are now coming from Alaska through the southern Rockies through Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Southern Missouri to finally winter in Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina down to Forida and the Turks and Caicos. Normally all the Rufous Hummers get to these wintering areas by late November, but late stragglers have been seen in December. A hummingbird researcher in Highlandville, MO had a Rufous Hummingbird in her backyard from Dec thru Feb.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20120521/NEWS01/305210017/hummingbirds-tracking-metal-band-feeder

So please leave your feeders up thru December, plants late blooming, cold tolerant flowers and help these birds get to their SE United States wintering locations.

More below on the changing migratory patterns of the Rufus Hummingbirds

http://www.burdr.com/2010/07/rufous-hummingbird-flies-from-florida-to-alaska/

https://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Auk/v115n01/p0240-p0245.pdf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Rufous Hummingbird Photo

Would be nice to see a few come through in late October or November so here is what this rare but getting more common hummer looks like.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o
RE: Keep Humming Bird feeders out in December for the Rufous

I'd love to see one someday.
Did you take that photo?

o

I would also like to see those. My sister in CA has several kinds visit and she sees a difference in their behavior. I love the attitude of the ruby throated ones. I think they are like those Starwars flying machines zooming at high speed.

o

Still have 1 fat little female. Warming the sugar water in the mornings for her. She should have a good ten days of good weather to fly south after this weekend chill. I'm betting she leaves this Wednesday. Will be sad to see her go.

Remember keep you feeders out, help the stragglers and maybe even catch the rare Rufous coming from Alaska to the southeast.

o

I can keep a feeder out, but how do I keep it from freezing? I still have blooming flowers, but I rarely have them last later than the first of November.

o

Sugar water is a little harder to freeze with a 4-1 water to sugar mixture should be good all the way to 21 degrees, a 3-1 mixture should even be better and still be ok for the Hummers. Do NOT fill the glass bottle to the top, leave room for expansion if freezing occurs. Also you can take in overnight and keep warm and put out early in morning before little guys come out.

Here is a link that might be useful: More on sugar water freezing point

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here