Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Saw a varmit, varment, varmet hmmmm

christie_sw_mo
18 years ago

I should know how to spell that. lol

My daughter and I saw something along the side of the road this week that didn't look familiar. It looked just like a groundhog but had a long thick bushy tail and was chocolate brown all over. I didn't see any markings. It was alive and we could see it from fairly close up since I slowed down to see what it was. We both said "What is THAT" about the same time. I looked up a picture of an otter but the tail didn't look right. It was bushier than that - but most of the pictures of otters are of wet otters so it's hard to tell. lol

So what looks like a groundhog with a bushy tail?

Comments (8)

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok - found one site that said a groundhog's tail can be almost a foot long, so maybe it WAS just a groundhog. I would've guessed it was around a foot long. All the ones I've seen had a rather short tail or maybe they just don't normally hold them up like this one did. (gas?) lol
    Learn something new every day. : )
    Does this mean we're going to have a cold winter? lol

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1120170}}

• shirleyroser_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have something living in my pond and appears like it has cleaned out all the fish. I assume it is an otter. It also makes holes in the enbankment and runs into the holes when someone come around. Does anyone know anything about otters? If so would like to hear from you.I live in Newbern Tennessee Northwest Tennessee

• helenh
    12 years ago

If it looked like a groundhog, it was probably a ground hog. They have a way of sitting up and looking around so you don't see their tails so much. I would suspect a water bird if fish are missing.

Here is a link that might be useful: otter info

• helenh
    12 years ago

Sorry Shirley I forgot the part about making holes in the bank. I guess that isn't a bird. I would post your description on the pond forum; someone there would probably know the answer. Christie put you guess at spelling a word in the google search box and there will be a list of words that are close, then pick one. We knew what you meant anyway.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love how Google helps with spelling. The original post was in 05 and I think their search feature was different back then. It didn't have the drop down box like it does now and since it's slang, there were different ways to spell it. "Varmint" seems to be the most common and wasn't one I tried at the time.
    Shirley - I don't know what you saw. Muskrats, Minks and Nutria all live around water too. Could it be one of those?

• helenh
    12 years ago

I didn't look at the date; I have a habit of looking at the web before bed. Posting with a sleepy brain is dangerous.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's ok. I'm careless about my spelling and sometimes just too lazy to look things up.
    Shirley - You're close to the Ozarks and welcome to join in this forum anytime. Tennessee also has its own forum on Gardenweb that might be helpful to you though. I'll post a link below. They might be able to tell you what's common in your area. Sorry about your fish by the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening in Tennessee

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's ok. I'm careless about my spelling and sometimes just too lazy to look things up.
    Shirley - You're close to the Ozarks and welcome to join in this forum anytime. Tennessee also has its own forum on Gardenweb that might be helpful to you though. I'll post a link below. They might be able to tell you what's common in your area. Sorry about your fish by the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening in Tennessee