Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seeding groundcover

Posted by ljd1 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 13, 06 at 23:32

I am wondering if anyone could suggest a ground cover that I could SEED along the edge of my property by the street. It is a full sun, dry area that gets minimal foot traffic. I need something that is fairly inexpensive to seed and is visually appealing. Doesnt have to bloom but that would be nice. Just something drought tolerant and maintains its green color during the summer.
Thanks
ljd1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seeding groundcover

ljd1,
Could you give us a little more specifics? Do you plan on making a dug bed? or planting among grass. Do you want something short or 6" to 12" or taller? Will you be mowing your lawn up to it.
Something that will die down in winter or an evergreen?
book on the subject suggested rose moss as an inexpensive annual to seed a bed with that can take heat and drought and will reseed.
Trailing vinca will grow anywhere and is very invasive. I grow it under two oaktrees where it can be weedeated or mowed a couple times a year.Its also evergreen. It would have to be started by plants which someone would probably give you free. Thats all i can think of without more info.
vickie

o

I am not planning on digging a bed, rather laying newspaper putting down some compost and seeding on top of it. I will be mowing right up to it and would like if possible for it to remain evergreen. I was trying to research some type of herb that maybe when I mow would give off a good scent.(in case it spread into the yard) And short, definately short about six inches or so would be great. I am definately trying to cut down on any mowing and watering that I need to do. Any thing else you would like to know just ask. thanks for your help

o

Vinca minor can't be started by seed but it is the best groundcover for a hot dry sunny or shady area that I have ever used. A friend gave me a dozen rooted slips twenty years ago and now I have a 10 by 30 spot under oak trees that I never water that is a solid mass. Blooms early spring. I love it for an area that can't be mowed as it wlts during the heat but perks back up with every shower. Also looks good in the winter. Just don't let it get to a perrenial bed. Want some?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here