Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating Magnolias

Posted by MrsJrs 5 1/2 - mid-MO (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 05 at 1:15

Can magnolias be grown from seed in this area? If so, can someone help me with instructions?

Thanks, Martha - N.W. Truman Lake area

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating Magnolias

Magnolias CAN be grown from seed. The trick is to never let the seed dry out, from the time it's plucked til the time it is germinates.

You must first gather the red seeds fresh. The red part is actually protective pulp keeping the seeds moist for a time. But the seeds need help, which is why you don't see magnolia trees springing up everywhere.

Take the seeds and drop them in a glass of warm water. Let them soak a day or two. Then the pulp should be soft and you should be able to squish the seed out of the pulp. The seed inside looks kinda like the actual seed (minus the shell) of a sunflower.

Get a damp paper towel and lay it out on the counter. Then put the cleaned seeds on the top half of the paper towel so none of them are touching. Then fold the bottom half over the top half. Then fold it over so you have a square.

Now put this into a ziplock baggy and seal it up with as little air inside as possible. Drop it in the crisper in your fridge and leave it for three months.

Then you can take them out and sow the seeds as usual. Mine germinated in about 30 days. They grow slowly, so be patient. It could be years before you have a tree that can be seen over the grass. LOL

NancyAnn

o

I have a 3 year old grown from seed that is about 10 inches tall. I picked up seed pods from underneath a tree to use as christmas decorations and happened to notice one of the red "berries" that had a sprout coming out of it. I put it in dirt and set it out the next spring. I doubt I'll ever see it bloom, but somebody down the years will!

o

• Posted by MrsJrs 5 1/2 - mid-MO (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 18:40

Thank you both for your information. If I can get one started, I'll have to put a chain-link fence around it - if anything's in the yard but not blooming, my husband mows it down when he cuts the grass. (Last spring, he "weed-ate" my Stella D'oro lillies - this would have been the fourth summer for them!)

Anyway, thanks!

Martha

o

my pop-in-law did, here's how.
1) took a penknife and scraped some of the red off the seed
2) planted in rotted leaf mulck in flats and left under the bench around a tree in his yard for a year. Nearly every single one sproutted. He had a green thumb to his elbow.
Kat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here