Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jspeachyn5

Poison sumac or

jspeachyn5
15 years ago

I was pulling down some stuff form a tree the other day and have a really bad rash and I'm not sure what I got into.

I remember pulling some brown vine type stuff kind of splitting apart and hard to pull.

There was some green too but it didn't look like ivy.

There was also some shorter shrub height maybe, cane w/thorns that I cut and pulled. I know it's not wild rose or I would have noticed it when down there before.

I do a search on line but the pics are so far back can't really get a good look.

Maybe some of you have maybe had a close enough encounter with this type of thing you could tell me what I might have gotten into?

Could it be the bush w/thorns? Where some of those got me sure look bad. Or maybe what ever else it is it got into the thorn sites.

Thanks Bonnie

Comments (11)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I am betting on poison ivy. Here is a link about poison vines in sw Mo.
    Start doctoring now and don't scratch and spread it!

I got rid of lots of poison that was on trees in the yard by spraying with glyphosphate in the growing season...then I didn't pull it down and never, never burn any dead unidentified vines...the smoke can cause a rash.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poison Vines of Missouri

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Bless your heart Bonnie. I have been through that many times and it seems like it takes forever to go away.

Missouri has different kinds of poison ivy and it can grow as a shrub or a vine. Some of mine have very red leaves right now. I can't remember if it still has berries on it but they would be whitish. There may be some without leaves already. That makes it harder to notice but will still give you a rash.

If there are still leaves on the thorny plants, could you post a photo? I couldn't think of anything thorny that might cause a rash but there may be something.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks.
    I took a look at that site. I also looked up poison ivy vine.
    It looks like the vine I pulled down from the tree. W/out leaves, redish brown and hairy.
    But I wish I knew what the was w/the thorns.
    It didn't have any leaves on it.
    I don't have a camera.
    I will have to wait until spring and see if any more comes back up.
    So I'm hoping that the reason why the holes where the thorns got are just really bad because of the poison ive oil getting in to it.

Thanks Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

It probably was poison ivy; if it gets unbearable a doctor can give you prednasone that will stop it immediately. They won't give you that unless your rash is really bad because the drug can have side effects. I get rashes from either pepper vine or trumpet vine. I am careful when I touch either of those. Last evening I pulled down my dead frozen vines and the moon vine kind of made me itchy so I washed off.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

When I went he gave me 2 shots. Then a tube of cream temavate ointment and some antibiotic for bacteria.
    Was starting to turn a dark purple bruised color and sinking into my skin. Have a fever. So he loaded me up.
    He just thought perhaps since my immune system is compromised. I started getting a infection through the cuts where the thorns got me.
    Pretty silly. I was trying to clean an area up and end up wiped out.
    Thanks
    Bonnie

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Bonnie,
    Sorry about your hands. My husband got poison ivy on his hands last year and had to go to the doctor, because it go infected, too. He had to wear gloves. It took a little while to heal. Hope your hands gets better soon!
    Ann

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Bonnie, glad you sought help. The infections can get pretty bad.

Let me be a mother-type now......Always wear long pants, long-sleeved shirt and serious gloves when cleaning brush! A good pair of high-top work shoes is good too.

I wear a man's chambray workshirt if I am around itchy stuff like okra, or even to pick tomatoes to keep the green stain off and to prune roses. It is almost worn out and I need to order another one.

Hope you get well soon.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You know gldno1, That is one of the things about this.
    I normally do dress to do this type of thing.
    However, I had taken a walk and had on capri and long sleeve denim work shirt. but I had the cuffs rolled up two times.
    I was standing there looking around and started ripping stuff down and up. I had decided to plant some native flowers down there.
    I'm real bad about when I decide to do something I just step in and want to do it right now.
    I think I have learned my lesson with the ivy. I don't think I will work in that type area, w/o getting suited up again.
    Thanks Bonnie

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

How are you today Bonnie? Hope your doctor visit has made it start getting better. I've had some pretty bad poison ivy rashes but not as bad as yours. I've never had bruising or fever with mine. You must be miserable.

I don't plan either, just see stuff that needs to be done and start working, without gloves or insect repellent, then regret it later.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

It may be an age thing! I am always amazed to hear of people gardening in shorts and barefoot...not this old girl.

I usually don't have to do insect repellant here...so far. I have had very few chigger bites in the last several years and even fewer ticks.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ha, "not this old girl".
    You are as old as you feel is what I've heard.
    To that I say somedays very old, like when I've been raking soil for weeks.
    Others a teenager, like when my seed comes in the post.

I do get suited up if I know I'm going to go do something that requires it. But I'm like christie said. I have a bad habit of just doing if I see something that I think needs to be done now before I forget. There is that age thing again.

I don't really need insect repellant here, I get a few misquitos but not to bad. I don't have hardly any ticks. I may see one or two. Mostly where I don't mow. and I mow almost everything to keep the spiders down. yuck.

I'm doing much better. this cream is really drying this up quite fast.
    The infection is getting better also. Looks better and I feel good.
    These things just happen too easily to me. So kind of took me by surprise.

I know I will never go down by that trees again unless I am in full armor! lol

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor