Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

A Sample of My Country-Style Gardening

gldno1
9 years ago

This combo is all self-seeding annuals: Salvia farinacea; nicotiana sylvestris and Laura Bush petunias (I love these!)

This is a close-up of the same combo. Here is another thing I love about self-seeded annuals.....notice the pure white strain of the normally blue salvias.

Also have you noticed how most colors get a more intense shade with the cooler weather, especially the blues.

This next bed is not very attractive. I was letting the agastache dry for seeds when I noticed the melampodiums coming on strong.(the tiny yellow daisy-like flower). They are also a self-seeding annual that I planted here a couple of years ago. I don't know why they took so long to germinate. It is a wonderful shorter plant and isn't bothered by disease or insects.

Comments (8)

• helenh
    9 years ago

Thanks for the pictures. I love annual blue salvia too. Mine bloomed all summer and still looks good. I started planting melampodium because you recommended it. It is a reliable attractive plant and you have to grow it to appreciate it. It is not that the yellow flowers are so beautiful. The plant takes the heat and stays neat in the middle of summer. I need to save some seed so I can plant some early even though it reseeds. I like your flowering tobacco. I will have to remember that next year.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Helen, don't buy nicotiana seed. I will have trillions and will send you some shortly.

• christie_sw_mo
    9 years ago

Enjoyed your photos Glenda. I don't seem to have a lot of things blooming right now. There are flowers scattered here and there but not much that's photo worthy. I'd have to edit out the weeds. lol

• helenh
    9 years ago

It is about time for fall color pictures. I noticed this morning that I have a red dogwood and some bright red leaves on the burning bush and oak leaf hydrangea.

Thank you Glenda. I'll be checking my mail box.

I am thinking about bringing in some plants that I want to save over winter. I have already put the caladiums where they don't get any rain. I always save sun coleus the showiest most carefree pot plant I grow. The ones I planted at my friends house are huge. Trailing torenia is another pot plant I need to bring inside. I hate to mess with it but it saves buying new plants in spring,.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Helen, I mailed it yesterday so look for it today.

I used to take cuttings of coleus and grow them in water until spring. Don't do that anymore, I may try on some begonias.

Christie, mine are really not picture worthy but I took 'em anyway.
    BTW, I finally got that monster area of forsythia cleared from in front of the two crape myrtles you sent me so now they will get full sun. I expect to see a big change in them next year.

I am finally seeing some color on the trees and shrubs here.

• christie_sw_mo
    9 years ago

Some years my crape myrtles have good fall color but I don't think they will this year. They look pretty shriveled after that last freeze. Glad yours are still hanging in there Glenda.
    Helen - you're right. We need to post some fall photos.
    I noticed a little dogwood that's volunteered under our pecan tree. It's a beautiful bright red and I'd like to transplant it somewhere else but I think it will be very difficult to move since it's pretty close to the trunk of the pecan.

• jessaka
    9 years ago

What beautiful flowers. Thanks for posting them.

I never heard of nicotiana.

• helenh
    9 years ago

It is flowering tobacco.

Sponsored
Jewel Marie Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia