Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

A Few Plants that are doing well now

gldno1
15 years ago

I think these cooler temperatures are improving the color on lots of my plants now.

{{gwi:1120365}}

{{gwi:1120367}}

{{gwi:1120369}}

{{gwi:1120371}}

{{gwi:1120373}}

{{gwi:1120374}}

All of these petunias are self-seeded from last year's. They are an old fashioned, vining type with some fragrance. I really like them.

helen, note my birch tree stump. I left that for either a bird house or a feeder.

The last picture is of the cosmos that have just now started really doing well. I may have planted them a little late, can't remember.

Comments (9)

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

It took me a couple seconds to notice that your birchtree didn't go all the way up. How sad. My sassafras tree is too young for me to give an opinion on whether it's a good yard tree. You don't see them in yards very much but it may be just because they're difficult to transplant. I can't remember ever seeing one in a nursery for sale. Mine isn't suckering yet. I'm kind of afraid to dig around it where the root area in case that would make it sucker worse.

Your asters are really pretty! Mine is so crowded by shrubs it looks like it's planted down in a hole:

At least it's blooming. I'm wondering if it might be better to wait until spring to move it instead of fall. I haven't tried to divide asters before. Is that easy to do?

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

Your flowers are all beautiful, I need to divide asters
    also. I have never did it either. The mums should be
    divided too. Happy gardening, caroline

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

gldno1,
    This is the first year I have planted cosmos.
    I was wondering if your plant is typical for the growth pattern for our area?
    I was thinking mine was not big enough. but maybe I was envisioning a group to fill out more.
    My plant looks like yours. So if that is correct then it can come off my, "not so good list".
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bonnie, they have shorter cosmos, I just really like the taller ones, I think Sensation mixed. They are one of my favorite flowers, but need to be at the back of other things.

Actually, my asters in these pictures are chrysanthemums.

Christi, your aster looks like the one I have, a native. I will wait until spring since our rains seem to be few and far between.

I will probably divide my mums next spring and line in front of the cellar bed with them. I think they are the only plant my husband has ever commented on! He says they are prettier than all the rest combined....I will be planting more colors next spring.

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Your flowers are doing very well. They are wonderful, especially the large ball of purple (4th picture). What kind of plant is it? I would love to have that in my garden. Good work!
    Ann

• helenh
    15 years ago

Glenda, I had those vining petunias a few years ago. They came back for a few years. I will have to get them again. You said you take walks; you will have to get your husband to Close Park in nice weather and let him walk around the lake. My friend walks a little and then sits on a bench and watches people and geese. There is probably not much there now, but I would get him used to it in this cool weather.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

helen, it is quite a drive for us for just a walk. But we do walk when we go, but never have even seen the lake!

We also have a nice walking trail around the little park in Willard that we sometimes use. I kind of like just walking down the country roads. We have very little traffic and always see something interesting, at least to us. The longest walks we take are 30 minutes. I have problems if I am on hard surfaces much longer than that.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ann, that is just a garden mum. I wish I knew what variety, but I don't. I like the round shape too. Maybe it is a cushion mum.

• helenh
    15 years ago

Glenda, I meant you look; he walks and enjoys the nice day. I was going to go today with my friend. He has a Dr. appointment in Springfield. My mother fell Sat. and doesn't want to be left alone. Hopefully I will get to go again, but feeling sorry for myself. I will have to go out and dig because I really do enjoy being at home.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals