Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Tornado (with pics)

gldno1
16 years ago

First I hope everyone is OK this morning.

We are just north and west of Cave Springs and just about dark that tornado or the edges

of it touched down in our yard. Once again, our front trees took a hit. Just as we were

dashing into an interior room, I heard a large thud and knew something had hit the

house.......it didn't last 30 seconds.

When we went outside we found the tops from one of the maples out near the road had hit

the living room porch. there are several other maple branches scattered throughout the

yard. The picture on TV of the brick house with the porch torn off was the neighbor

directly behind our farm. Thankfully we don't think much else is damaged but will do a

survey this morning to check everything else.

I can't praise the new propane generator enough. It kicked in the minute the power went

off and ran for over 6 hours. What a pleasure not to have to use lamps or candles and to

be able to watch KYTV weather reports.

It was a long night.

I took a couple of pics before the storm hit and later of the tree in the front yard.

Comments (7)

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Wow! My heart would've been pounding. Glad your house is ok. Will you have some repairs to do on the porch?
    I was sure glad when those storms had gone through last night. The forecast for "large long-tracking tornadoes" was making me nervous.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well the house is ok but the pole barn at the back of the farm is completely destroyed with lumber and metal roofing all over the field. We have cut up and hauled off three pickup loads of limbs and have about three more to go before we begin picking up the debris out of the field.

I have an album on Photobucket Tornado 2007 if you want to take a look.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v199/gdorris/

• oakleif
    16 years ago

gld,Sorry abt your damages but oh so glad you are ok. Tornados are scary things. We've had them go directly over us but never one to hit.
    You had some great pictures. Did you send any in to your TV station?
    vickie

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Glenda, I am so sorry that you have suffered more damage to your place. Was your barn the one mentioned on the Springfield news ? Thank goodness you are safe, and your house was spared.
    We didn't have high winds or hail here...just a nice rain.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Our barn and damage were not mentioned on TV. I didn't send in pics or call......did not want the TV coverage! We drove by the house behind us and were amazed by the damage to the house, even the outdoor wood furnace had all the metal housing stripped away. A rafter from their barn was laying on the ground with a light fixture attached and the bulb wasn't broken!

We finally got the yard cleaned up and DH is picking up lumber from the pole barn out in the field. We haven't started picking up the roofing because of the strong winds we are having.

We got some rain the night after the tornado, but none during it. Strangely though we do have muddy streaks on some outbuilding brought in by the tornado.

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

mother nature is awesome. glad you had minimum collateral damage.

william

• micke
    16 years ago

There was a Tornado that touched down in Verona the same night. There just seems to be some places in MO. that get hit by tornados again and again. Thank goodness your house was spared. I used to live in Carl Junction and we had so many horrific storms but it wasn't until I moved that there was two years in a row where tornados destroyed a lot of homes and a milking buisness:(