Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigred_gw

Do you remember me?

bigred
17 years ago

Hey gang!

Long time no type. My old computer got so slow it was a nightmare logging onto gw...then it gorked on me. I just bought this one from a friend's son moving sell for fiddy bucks. So far so good until next spring when I can get a brand spankin' new to screw up all on my own.

Peggy

Comments (13)

• christie_sw_mo
    17 years ago

Hi Peggy! I remember you. : ) Sounds like a bargain for 50 bucks. Glad you're back. I think ALL the forums would be busier if we all got new computers for Christmas and maybe high speed internet and a fancy digital camera to go with it. This forum has slowed down a LOT. I think many people left with the ownership change of Gardenweb. Some places in the Ozarks (my yard for example) have been hard hit with drought and gardening is very discouraging.
    How has your gardening gone this year?

• bigred
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Christie,
    Yup,I quit coming to gw so much after the swtich but then again a couple other sites I use to visit regularly have slowed down too.

My yard is FRIED! Lost a lot of stuff on one side of the yard because the water source broke,hub's is slow to repair it and I got tired of hooking up a kazillon hoses and dragging them up hill,postioning sprinkler just so where hopefully all got watered...but always missed the odd little corners.My neighbor works for city park,he does all their sprinkler systems so he's going to lay out and help us put in sprinklers this fall/winter and I'm re-doing all those beds in natives once it's done. I've been holding trillium,heptica,dutchman's britches and others in the greenhouse for 2-3 yrs now,waiting on the sprinklers to be put in. All I want for Christmas is sprinklers!!!!!!

P

• oakleif
    17 years ago

Peggy, So glad you're back. :O) Things have been slow both gardenwise and ozarks forem wise. How are things going in your green houses besides your native plants.
    I know what you mean abt dragging waterhose everywhere. Thats what i do except not much the last 2 years. Was amazed at what all survived.Daylilies,hosta,sedum and those little creeping phlox actually thrived. I went and bought a bunch of them this spring and spread them around.
    Looking forward to seeing you around.
    vickie

• bigred
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Vickie,
    I've managed not to kill everything in the greenhouses even though it's been one of those years when watering chores seem to be always behind.

Gardening chores period have suffered and I'm busy removing two large beds because I can't seem to get around to their upkeep. Some plants being moved to other beds, some going into my neighbors' yard around my new sign for the nursery as a display bed. I plant it,do part of the weeding and they do the rest. A way to keep my flowers but get out of 75% of the upkeep. Digging out what I want to propagate with and giving the rest to garden club memebers.

P

• bigred
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Vickie,
    I've managed not to kill everything in the greenhouses even though it's been one of those years when watering chores seem to be always behind.

Gardening chores period have suffered and I'm busy removing two large beds because I can't seem to get around to their upkeep. Some plants being moved to other beds, some going into my neighbors' yard around my new sign for the nursery as a display bed. I plant it,do part of the weeding and they do the rest. A way to keep my flowers but get out of 75% of the upkeep. Digging out what I want to propagate with and giving the rest to garden club memebers.

P

• razorback33
    17 years ago

Hi Peggy,
    Wondered what happened to you. Glad to hear you are well and surviving. Curious about your seed starts of natives for the park/trail project? Guess those are in your GH getting some TLC. Let us know what other plants/shrubs/trees you will be needing or just want to include. Don't have a lot, as I rarely participate in rescues anymore, since the rules have changed and I am in diagreement with some of them. They are frivolous and unnecessary. But I wasn't asked.

I finally retired my old ebox and rescued one that was on it's way to the landfill. Perfectly good and only a couple of years old. Was just clogged up with old files, internet caches, hundreds of cookies and unused programs. Once I cleaned it out, it works fine. The problem now is my SP, which is making a lot of changes, to "improve" service, they say. Every "improvement" they make, only makes access and service worse. When they finish, I probably won't be able to get online.
    Rb

• bigred
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry about the double post. Me and/or the computer musta hiccupped.

Howdy Rb.,
    The wildlife walk in to town fell thru. A couple of the folks on the committee said"that sounds like wonderful idea...BUT!"...so I scrapped that idea in favor of doing a wildlife walk at the city park. My neighbor across the street is the park manager and he's all on board and willing to help.We start clean up,bed prep and lay-out next month for early spring plant installation.

Lots of goodies from seed...have to go out to GH for inventory. Lots of seeds yet to sprout and just read some like witch hazel can take up to 2-3 to sprout..."OUCH"! My most prized seedlings though are the parsley leafed hawthorns.Saw them at Garvan Gardens and fell in love,found seed source and have probably 3 dz. small seedlings.

P

• oakleif
    17 years ago

Peggy, I was'nt thinking(as usual) i have some native dwarf light blue iris just pegging for a new home.and can contribute wild violet plants if you're interested and seeds and other things.Will look around.
    Vickie

• bigred
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Vickie,
    thanks for your kind offer but I have the wild irises and violets in my yard.

P

• christie_sw_mo
    17 years ago

Lucky you getting a sprinkler system! That should cut down on your work. Will it be difficult to position them so that they water everything? I'd LOVE to have some kind of watering system in my shade garden but I think I would need to reorganize everything first and get all my water hogs together and separated from my plants that are more drought tolerant. It's still on my "someday" list.

Peggy - Do you have some advice on viburnum seeds? I think you mentioned growing those from seed. I tried winter sowing with mixed luck, mostly bad. Does it help to sow them fresh?
    Congrats on your parsley-leafed hawthorns. I'd never heard of it. It still amazes me to grow things from seed especially if it grows into something large.

• mulberryknob
    17 years ago

bigred Where are you? I am also a wildflower fanatic here in zone6/7 (Kinda on the line) I have hepatica and dutchman's breech's but never water them in the summer as they survive in the wild just fine going dormant in the summer heat. Along with the wild iris, violets, phlox, tradescantia, cutleaved toothwort,corydalis, and anemone.

• bigred
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Christie,
    I don't remember doing anything special to the vib. seeds. This was 3-4 years ago before I knew anything about seed-sewn trees and shrubs. I picked seeds from my dbl.file vib.and sewed them immediatly(before the birds got them all),pulp and all. My new book on propagation by Alan Toogood(and that name is "too good" to be true...LOL)says warm then cold period. Spring sew will germinate the next spring. I don't remember how long it took mine but I do know it wasn't a whole year...weeks..couple months, maybe.

Says same on snowberries but the fruit on my little shrubs are calling"pick me now...sew me now"...LOL

All my sewings are hit and miss.

I'm still waiting on dove tree seeds from 3 yrs. ago to germinate.

mulberry,
    I'm fairly knew to wildflower gardening with loads to learn.

P

• christie_sw_mo
    17 years ago

I have a few seeds from my viburnum 'Onondaga' that I want to to plant. I don't know why. It's beautiful in the spring and early summer but the summer heat makes it look near death for several weeks. The leaves get crispy.

Have you seen 'Sonoma' dove trees in the catalogs? REALLY cool looking tree but only hardy to zone 6 I think, so maybe too iffy to spend a lot of money on for me. It's $100 in Wayside's catalog! I've thought about looking for some Sonoma seeds though.

Are you growing native violets Mulberryknob? I've wondered if they're any that would naturalize in my yard. Will they take full sun? I have some of my Grandma's violets that will grow in my yard just fine but I think they're considered invasive and not native.