Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ceresone

Against my will..

ceresone
11 years ago

I have never wanted to get another dog! And in March, when I lost my Husband, I had chores simple. THEN-the next week, someone dumped off 3 Mini-Pins.Shelters all full, no one wanted them-So-now, I have one in the house, and 2 in the old kennel.The other 2 are still standoffish(?) and while they want to play, just dont know how.Now, I must find heat pads, heated waters, etc--plus chores again.

Ever feel you're just a sucker???

Comments (8)

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    11 years ago

You are not a sucker, you just have a kind heart. That's a good thing. Bless you.

• helenh
    11 years ago

OK they dumped 3 but you mention two others that are wild. So do you have five? Sometimes there are breed rescue organizations but I don't know if that kind of dog has one. A lot of my time is spent dealing with my pets. I love them but they are lots of trouble. Three I can see five is getting to be a little much. By the time you tame the standoffish ones you will be attached to them. Is there a no kill rescue organization in your area that has foster homes. There is one here called Faithful Friends but usually they are full. I would see if there is such an organization around you and keep trying to get them to take a couple.

• helenh
    11 years ago

I am reading what you wrote again and I see you only have three. You will make pets of them and love them. Soon you will not give them up for a million dollars.

If that doesn't happen, there is a min pin rescue organization. I don't know where the foster home is in MO.

Here is a link that might be useful: look for the MO contact person

• ceresone
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, the one in the house tore/ate a entire roll of tp this morning, my pajamas were outside, and a washcloth shredded. If she's caught with anything, she flips onto her back, and tries to swallow it before you can get it. Last time, she had managed to find a roofing nail!
    I've worked with these 3 girls 7 months now, the other 2 just love it if you force them to be caught, as I had to for shots, and they want to play--just do not want to be touched.
    I would LOVE to be able to give them up, theyre costing more than I can afford--but how could I betray them once more in their life? understand?

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

I understand completely! We were down to 2 cats, and didn't want another one....then somebody moved away and left their aged lynx point Siamese homeless. And hungry, and sick. So I lured him with food, nursed him back to health, and now he is fat and happy, but he has lived in this neighborhood all his life and is probably too old to rehome successfully. I'm the only one he trusts so far, after 6 or 8 months. So we have to keep him. I can't let the old fellow down, and he is a really nice, sweet tempered cat, not a mean bone in his body. Loves to be brushed, and petted sitting on my lap.

Now, if I can just convince him that staying in the house in bad weather is ok, and he doesn't need to spend his nights out in freezing weather and rain. He comes in the house in the daytime, and eats, and spends time, but come night, he thinks he should go outside. Guess that's what he's always had to do.

Sandy

• helenh
    11 years ago

I understand completely. What I don't understand is why people can't take responsibility for their animals instead of making people like us care for their unwanted animals. After my mother died, I made a resolution to reduce my animals so I could travel if I wanted. Then Honey showed up. I wouldn't give him up for anything and would not trust anyone else to put up with him. He tore up the carpet by the door and chewed the wood door frame about 6 inches. He ate a package from gardens alive chewed the top off of bug poison. All my shoes last year were chewed a bit. He ate a sonicare toothbrush and the ends of the handles on hoes little hand tools, his brush etc. But I laugh at him every day and he is getting better. When your dogs get older they may prove to be good companions. Little yipping dogs are good alarms for fire or intruders.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

You're a good person Ceresone. It's hard to find a good home for a stray. You don't know who's taking them for labs or as bait for pit bulls. I'd rather not have that kind of people coming to my house to get a pet.
    Food is less expensive than flea treatments. They're resistant to everything and every time I think we've gotten rid of them they show up again.

• helenh
    11 years ago

There are picky shelters. My friend's daughter was turned down for a dog at one place because her last Lab was too fat and had diabetes. The dog was 10 or 11 when it died. The vet chewed her out for overfeeding it. The dog went blind from the diabetes; she gave it shots everyday for a long time. She treats her dog like a child. Another rescue gave her a chocolate Lab and it is treated very well. My sister also got a dog from Blue Heeler rescue. They had interviews and were checked out. They drove a long distance to pick up the dog and I think there was follow up. Faithful Friends here tells people that if they later decide the dog doesn't work for them to bring it back and don't dump it somewhere. It all depends on how attached you are to the animal and how much a burden it is for you. They say animals are good for your health because they are good company and interesting. I am sorry I said all those bad things about Honey because he has been good lately.