Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rain!

Posted by gldno1 z6MO (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 27, 06 at 9:51

We are getting rain at last! It started in the early morning hours and has continued. So far, we have had just over a half inch. I am giddy with excitement. Now, if we can just get 14 more inches, we will be caught up..................

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rain!

Gldno1,I am so happy for you. We have recieved over 7 inches of rain so far this month, and more on the way. Last night and this morning we have had thunder, lightning, and some marble-sized hail with the rain. Now it is foggy.We are still behind on our rainfall for the year, but I am hoping what we have has soaked down to the tree roots! I think we may finally be out of the drought. My yard really suffered from this summer's drought. I am surprised that we have had lovely fall colors, but nearby areas aren't so blessed.

Here are a few pics from our place:

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Marian

o

Beautiful Marian! What kind of trees do you have that are coloring up so pretty?
We're getting some rain too. : ) Real RAIN - not drizzle, and we heard some thunder as well. My rain gauge says 1 1/2 inches but we need a lot more to fill the ponds around here that have been dry for so long.
The colors are still very pretty here but the rain made a lot of leaves fall overnight. My driveway is yellow.

o

Thanks Christie. In the first pic the red trees are Dogwoods, the yellow on the left is Rose of Sharon, and the small yellow one in the center background is a Tulip Tree (Liriodendron).
The second pic is Amelanchier(orange), Gingko( Yellow) and Dogwood.
The third is the Dogwoods and Ginkgo,( before it got so yellow), and I think the yellow one is a Black Locust out in the woods.
The Locusts are bare now. The Ashes are almost bare. Today's gusty winds are really bringing them down, as well as the Tulip Tree's leaves.
The oaks are the next to color up, and are in the process. The very last is always the Shumard oak back of our house.

Marian

o

Marian, thanks for posting your lovely pictures here....and naming the trees. I really need more fall color in our yard. We were unfortunately blessed with huge elms and silver maples here on the farm and hate to remove them at our ages! Storms have taken out several over the years and I think I can find room for some more for color now.

I really like your mix of evergreens and deciduous trees.

It has rained most of the day here; I think 1-1/2 inches so far, but seems to be over.

I knew that part of MO and Arkansas had been getting torrential rains. Hope that ends your drought.

o

Gld, I have lots of other trees and shrubs that have nice color in the fall. Have you seen my PT albums?

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Marian, I just visited your albums this morning (with my morning coffee near by) and
really enjoyed all of them. You live in a beautiful spot and I know you appreciate how
lucky you are. I wish we had some of your water features. Ours are just farm ponds and
a couple of wet weather creeks that havent run in about three years now.

I made a list of some of your fall colored plantings and need to get started choosing some
things to plant next spring.

I need to get out in the woods with the camera and see what we have for fall color. Our
wind and rain the last day may have caused lots of leaves to drop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here