Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Rain!

gldno1
17 years ago

We are getting rain at last! It started in the early morning hours and has continued. So far, we have had just over a half inch. I am giddy with excitement. Now, if we can just get 14 more inches, we will be caught up..................

Comments (6)

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Gldno1,I am so happy for you. We have recieved over 7 inches of rain so far this month, and more on the way. Last night and this morning we have had thunder, lightning, and some marble-sized hail with the rain. Now it is foggy.We are still behind on our rainfall for the year, but I am hoping what we have has soaked down to the tree roots! I think we may finally be out of the drought. My yard really suffered from this summer's drought. I am surprised that we have had lovely fall colors, but nearby areas aren't so blessed.

Here are a few pics from our place:

{{gwi:184661}}

{{gwi:184659}}

{{gwi:182186}}

Marian

• christie_sw_mo
    17 years ago

Beautiful Marian! What kind of trees do you have that are coloring up so pretty?
    We're getting some rain too. : ) Real RAIN - not drizzle, and we heard some thunder as well. My rain gauge says 1 1/2 inches but we need a lot more to fill the ponds around here that have been dry for so long.
    The colors are still very pretty here but the rain made a lot of leaves fall overnight. My driveway is yellow.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Thanks Christie. In the first pic the red trees are Dogwoods, the yellow on the left is Rose of Sharon, and the small yellow one in the center background is a Tulip Tree (Liriodendron).
    The second pic is Amelanchier(orange), Gingko( Yellow) and Dogwood.
    The third is the Dogwoods and Ginkgo,( before it got so yellow), and I think the yellow one is a Black Locust out in the woods.
    The Locusts are bare now. The Ashes are almost bare. Today's gusty winds are really bringing them down, as well as the Tulip Tree's leaves.
    The oaks are the next to color up, and are in the process. The very last is always the Shumard oak back of our house.

Marian

• gldno1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marian, thanks for posting your lovely pictures here....and naming the trees. I really need more fall color in our yard. We were unfortunately blessed with huge elms and silver maples here on the farm and hate to remove them at our ages! Storms have taken out several over the years and I think I can find room for some more for color now.

I really like your mix of evergreens and deciduous trees.

It has rained most of the day here; I think 1-1/2 inches so far, but seems to be over.

I knew that part of MO and Arkansas had been getting torrential rains. Hope that ends your drought.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Gld, I have lots of other trees and shrubs that have nice color in the fall. Have you seen my PT albums?

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• gldno1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marian, I just visited your albums this morning (with my morning coffee near by) and
    really enjoyed all of them. You live in a beautiful spot and I know you appreciate how
    lucky you are. I wish we had some of your water features. Ours are just farm ponds and
    a couple of wet weather creeks that havenÂt run in about three years now.

I made a list of some of your fall colored plantings and need to get started choosing some
    things to plant next spring.

I need to get out in the woods with the camera and see what we have for fall color. Our
    wind and rain the last day may have caused lots of leaves to drop.