Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtguy50

Last Nights Chill

How did everyone make it through last night? Here is what we did after getting home in the dark. Welcome to fall gardening. lol

Comments (10)

• ceresone
    11 years ago

Hope the plastic isnt touching the plants? dosent look like it hurt anything here, but Sun's just coming up

• sunnyside1
    11 years ago

I looked this morning and there doesn't seem to be any damage. Said goodbye to my tomato and basil plants that I hadn't covered, but they seem to have survived. I did bring the tender potted things in until it warms up tomorrow (Monday). Forgot to cover my Candy onion bed and hope they didn't get damaged.

We must have lucked through it here. Hope everyone did.
    Sunny

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    11 years ago

Didn't cover anything, even left my lime tree out (it was close to house) everything looks good, even basil. Warmed up the hummingbird food, little girl came out around 7:10 am.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There was some frost on the roofs here this morning. The temp ran up to about 39 degrees before leaving for church so I uncovered the beds that had plastic over them. One more morning of possible frost and then it looks like the mornings will be safe for awhile. Hope everyone escaped any frost damage.

• helenh
    11 years ago

I had my killing frost this morning. The tomatoes, cucumbers and beans that were nipped before are totally blackened today. It is OK because now I have room to plant my violas where the annual salvia and coleus were.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Helen, we had very heavy widespread frost this morning. Most of the plants were covered and survived for the upcoming nice weather. Good luck with you new plants.

• helenh
    11 years ago

It was cool today but in the middle of the day it was beautiful working weather. Has anyone else noticed that it is way too dry again. That is bad when we have to have tropical storms to get our rain.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

The majority of my zinnias are brown but there are a few flowers on the inside of the bed sheltered by the taller zinnias that didn't get frozen. Wish it had stayed just a couple degrees warmer. My salvias, dahlias and blanket flowers still look ok. I didn't cover anything.
    There's rain in the forecast for this weekend.

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

No frost here at my house even tho I did cover the impatiens. I hear there was frost in some areas of the city and my daughter's garden in Neosho got it. Looks like we are past frost danger now for a while.

Sandy

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

You missed it by a hair Sandy.
    The extended forecast right now that goes through November 4th on Accuweather doesn't show any temps below freezing. Of course they may change it tomorrow.
    I'm kinda wishing I had covered my zinnias. I miss them.