Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunny6_gw

Best bargain for the season

bunny6
15 years ago

I love plant, seed or gardening supply bargains. I had several good bargains this season. My best bargain was a two dollar Pink Knockout rose from Wal-Marts. It was in perfect condition and has grown alot since I bought it in June. It even survived my dog eating part of it. The rose has bloomed nonstop. I also bought large containers of potato vines for 50 cents each. Additonally, I bought gardening gloves at Family dollar for 50 cents a pair. I bought several pairs, because I am always losing one. So, what was your best bargain?

Comments (36)

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Well let's see... I p/u some pretty flower pots for indoors @ lowe. Also a mandevilla and mexican heather. They were all marked down.
    Other than that the only other thing if it count is I got a person I know to haul me 5 loads of soil for the cost of p/u and delivery.
    Then I had the back breaking job of racking and racking and still more raking. lol.
    Too bad I didn't find gloves like you. I wear them out so fast it's not even funny. I try to p/u 2 pair each year. I almost always have to break down and get another before winter hits. Oh well I use them to carry in firewood.
    Oh wait a minute I forgot. I also got 2 rick of fire wood more or less for free. One of my clients had an oak go down in their yard last ice storm. They cut and split and stacked it for me. So I took 1 weeks payment off for them.
    I always see roses on sale. I don't really look @ them though. I can't seem to grow them so quit trying.
    Bonnie

• pamcrews
    15 years ago

I'm still looking for those good deals....I'm usually a day late and most of the time a dollar short....LOL....but I love hearing about others good fortune!

Pam

• helenh
    15 years ago

I recently bought a white rugosa rose in good shape at Lowe's for $5. I am not sure that is a good deal because I don't have any luck with roses. I was looking for a white rugosa because I had one for a few years that was very fragrant. One or two flowers opened perfumed the area near it. I also got some pinks for 44 cents a six pack. I expect that they will make it through winter; they have before for me. This is the time of year that I look for ornaments on sale. I can not buy any more gazing balls until I get all the glass picked up from the four that broke in a hail storm last spring. I do like them. I also like metal things. I have many stakes with frogs, hummingbirds, bugs etc. on top. They are handy because my dogs like to find cool spots in my shade garden. Alexandria's in Carthage usually has an end of season sale; that is where I got my wind chimes and metal goat among other things.

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

I'm like Pam, always a day late and a dollar short! Although I did find some Jackson & Perkins roses on sale at a nursery in Springfield this summer for $7 a piece. I bought 4. They bloomed in the pots all summer and I finally got them in the ground this fall. Two were climbers and I had to wait until I got my arbor up before planting them.

Bonnie, keep trying with the roses. I hear knock out roses are pretty easy to grow. I winter sowed some rose seed this past winter and had to sprouts. I am goint to try more this winter. You can usually find seed on the seed exchange or you can get rose hips from someone else's roses.

Helen, sorry to hear about your gazing balls. I am in the process of making one our of broken mirror pieces. Post a pic of your metala goat. I would love to see it.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Have any of you seen those garden decorations made with tea cups?
    I seen them somewhere.
    They took teacups and saucers and some had tea pots etc. The had glued and stacked the then attached them to a metal rod and stuck into the soil. They were actually quite pretty.
    I like the ones on a stake. I like to put them in w/something that might need a little help. So I can tie to it and not be quite so obvious. lol
    Someone gave me one of those butterfly houses once. I'm afraid to put it out. I keep thinking something bad will us it for a home instead of the butterflies.
    I think I have decided to not try the roses anymore. It really isn't that bad. My flower loves are really not in the rose dept anyway. lol However I do enjoy other peoples. And admire there ability to grow them. It all works out in the end.
    Bonnie

• bunny6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Don't worry Pam I didn't find one good bargain last year. Some years I get lucky and some years I don't.

Bonnie, all that soil is alot of shoveling. That is the only part of gardening I don't like is bring in compost and shoveling it into the garden.

Helen, it didn't even cross my mind that those balls would break in a hail storm. Learned something today. Hope your rose does well. I don't always have good luck with roses.

Proudgm-you got a good price on your J&P roses. Your are right Knockouts is one rose that I have never had any BS and is easy to care for.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I haven't been shopping enough! I've missed all the good clearance stuff this year, except for some seeds I bought at Dollar General that were marked down to 9 cents or something. They were pretty cheap even before they marked them down though, so we'll see if I got a bargain when I try to plant them next spring.

Bonnie - Were the teacups made into bird feeders? I've seen a single teacup on a pole used for a bird feeder but can't remember seeing any that were stacked. Here's what comes up on Google images when I put in teacup bird feeder. I like the teapot birdhouse that looks like it's pouring into the teacup. I would never have thought to use them for plant stakes. That's a good idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: tea cup bird feeders - Google thumnail images

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

christie, Those look pretty close to some of the ones I have seen.
    I have also seen some that were stacked w/small plants in them.
    I have seen them online, but they were at a crafts fair I was at a long time ago.
    Helen got me to thinking about them when she was talking about hers.
    I have a couple but was thinking might be something to work on this winter.
    I need to make a few that are tall for a few plants. I don't like the way those wooden stakes look when you work so hard to make your beds look nice.

bunny, not so much shoveling as just a lot of raking. He sort of drove the truck forward as he dumped. Of course he has been doing it forever. If I did it... well it would be a lot more work.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

jspeachyn5, here is a link to the garden junk forum. Sounds like a pretty easy thing to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Making a Teacup Feeder

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Thanks.
    I think I have all of that.
    I don't want the spoon or that stuff n there. Just the cup and saucer. I think it will hold up to the weather better.
    Easy to slip off and clean the water etc. So I can keep one by the flowers I know butterflies and birds like.

• helenh
    15 years ago

Lowe's is clearing out their gardening area for christmas trees. I got $22 worth there today: Russian sage, pink velor crepe myrtle, grace smoke bush, a caryopteris summer sorbet and an african violet ceramic pot.

• bunny6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Helen,
    You got a good deal. I need to visit Lowes and see if they have any large pots on sell. Maybe they are clearing their items out for Christmas also.
    Ann

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Wally World marked down their garden stuff about 2 months ago. Went there for a few grocery items and and came home loaded with decorative pots, a couple of new shovels and some other miscellaneous trivia.
    Thought I was going to have to use one of the shovels on the garden store manager, since they rang up at the regular price and he claimed they were not a sale item.
    Store manager agreed with me, since they were clearly marked. Filed a complaint anyway. Too many arrogant workers in that place. Old Sam isn't resting well, I'm sure, since that business has changed so dramatically. I seldom shop there anymore. One of our nephews works at one in Blytheville and I sure hope he doesn't treat the customers like this one does.
    Our attentiom has turned to Holiday feasting for the traditional family gathering.
    A new, smaller grocery has moved into our area and is giving the big boys a run for their money. Butterball turkeys for 99¢/lb., spiral sliced hams for $1.49/lb., milk, all grades, $2.49/gal. and the list goes on. Many of the prices are about ½ of those charged by the big chains.
    As with many grocery stores nowdays, they also stock totally unrelated merchandise. Last week, they advertised a well known brand of Digital LCD TV,in a 27" screen size, for $199. That's about half the price at Wally World.
    Didn't need one, very seldom watch the sorry fare on the the one's I have.
    Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
    Rb

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I agree - Sam would not be happy with the changes. That man would let someone return a 20 year old pair of shoes for cash if they asked. That actually happened at a store where I worked a long time ago. It was an elderly gentleman that said they worn out and he wanted a refund. lol There was a poster up in our work area that said "The customer is always right". I don't think they realize that's what made the company so successful to begin with.

Ann - Let me know if you see pots on sale. Do they clearance those out? I need to check our Lowe's.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

I think I am going to have to make a run to lowe and wallyworld to see if I can find some more lg and xlg pots. Also need to p/u more soil etc for winter sowing.
    I want to check the tool area too. I need a new handle for my rock rake.

Helen did you go to lowe and HD? Did they have any thing good to stock up on?

Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

I bought some house plants today. I have already seen everything at Neosho Lowe's. I really didn't need these succulents I got; my windowsills are full. They do have some pots marked down, but not the kind I like best. I like the double walled plastic. They are light weight and insulate a little. Really I don't need any more pots, but bought some of the succulents because of the cute pots they were in. Can you tell I am feeling a little guilty.

• pamcrews
    15 years ago

Ah ha! FINALLY got the deal of the day! Yesterday hubby and I went to Lowes to pick up a little space heater....I had to walk by the bare and closed garden department when I found a 7 foot tall rack loaded with one gallon containers of asters and flats of pansies. All for $5.00. I couldn't believe it. I could of cared less about the pansies it was the asters I was after. There were 30 containers and only three different types....wonderful for mass planting! And then I was able to sweet talk the cute young buck who managed the garden section out of 6 one gallon canns for a quater a piece. I ended up dumping all the pansies and soil into the wheelbarrow to mulch into one of my troubled areas. And all 30 asters when into the ground today for the rain we are suppose to get tomorrow. FOR ONCE I was in the right place and wasn't a dollar short!

Pam

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

You planted 30 asters?! I love massed plants. I'm sure that will be beautiful when they're in bloom. Did you mean that they were selling the whole lot for $5 or 5 each?

• bunny6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good Job, Pam! You got a lot of plants for $5.00. It feels good to get a great deal. I agree with Christie they are going to be beautiful when they bloom:)
    Ann

• pamcrews
    15 years ago

The clerk had to ring it all up at original prices which came to approximately $460.00....then with the DEEP DEEP DEEP discounts brought the total down to $6.50. I planted over 30 asters, 3 flats of ground cover, stored six one gallon containers of cannas and dumped about 30 flats of panies. All it all....I thought it was a very good day!

(Still have the **** eating grin going)
    Pam

• gldno1
    15 years ago

pam, I would say that was the deal of a lifetime! I would have planted the pansies to see what would happen next spring...I am so stingy...I hate to toss a plant.

We all will be waiting with bated breath to see those cannas and asters!

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

I'm with you I don't like to so a plant. Well unless "I" think it's a weed.
    Can't wait to see.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

One time years ago I was in Wal-Mart scouting for bulbs on sale. There was a cart full of daffodil bulbs in all sizes of packages. I bought one or two thinking they were probably on sale. They rang up 2 cents a package. The checker and I decided not to question this odd price. I went back and got the whole cart. They gave them to me for that price since I had the cart and there was no sign that they weren't for sale. I found out that they had discarded them and meant to trash them. Somehow when they cleared them out in the computer a price of two cents got on them. I gave bulbs to every one at work and school kids each got 4 or 5 each (probabaly 180 kids). That was years ago; people I see in Wal-Mart have told me as recently as last month that the bulbs are coming up every year. That was my lifetime buy.

• pamcrews
    15 years ago

So Helen, how many of those did you plant in your yard? What an awesome deal! Last year I came across an old abandoned house on a dirt road...there were thousands of daffs coming up. I just knew at one time whoever lived in that little old house covered in vines with the roof pretty much gone had enjoyed gardening probably as much as I do. I had soooooo though about digging those up some of those daffs and and moving them to my yard but thought I'd be like stealing from a cemetery.

OBTW...I didn't entirely trashed the pansies....I mixed them into a bad soil area in one of my gardens and every morning I see a few happy faces sticking up....so I'm sure the strong will survive.

Pam

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Thank you Pam,
    You made me smile.
    I don't know what it is about those little plants but I do enjoy them.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

Pam, thank you, thank you, thank you! I checked at Lowe's in Joplin to look for the "big deal" like you got. I bought three pallets of plants for less than $25. I didn't get to pick all of them. I had to take what was on the pallet mostly but the boy checking was very accomodating and I got two I wanted from another pallet. My little pick up is full. Plants on top of plants all it will hold. I will unload tomorrow. I got crepe myrtle, petite monarda, asters, caryopteris, brownish grass maybe flax grass, heuchera, ferns, lirope, cone flower, hydrangea, gold privet, and some unknowns. I can't water all these in summer, but it is so fun to get them. I have a new pile of very well rotted manure that I will stick them in until I can decide what to do with them. The daffodils I got years ago are on my long driveway. Crown vetch and potato vine cover some of them. If you want to be remembered, plant daffodils. They will come up for years planted in a spot not mowed close or dug up. I have been caught stealing daffodils from old home sites. If I know who to ask, I ask. One man said don't take them all because his wife likes flowers. Nobody cares enough to divide them. When you dig them up you leave some which then have room to grow. Where I got mine was near where mother lives and the old houses were long gone.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Sounds like you had a good day Helen.
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Wow, Helen, that is a good deal! I kept checking all season for bargains, but Lowes never put them on sale.

Will you plant them this fall or hold them over? I have been very successful placing pots on the ground next to an east facing shed, piling leaves and straw over them....and once an old comforter. They all have survived for me.

• pamcrews
    15 years ago

Congtratulations Helen! Sounds like you did get a good deal. Have fun.... I just love researching on the internet what I've ended up with when I buy in mass quaities and really don't know what I got. It's so much fun!

Pam

• helenh
    15 years ago

It is fun. I gave some away today. The surprise part was when I gave a hydrangea and pansies to my friend's neighbor. She said you know that magnolia in the back yard is the one I gave them years ago when it was only a foot tall. It is a tree now. I forgot I even gave it to them and it makes me feel good that it grew.

• bunny6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What a deal Helen! I agree with Pam it is alot of fun to find bargains. Have fun planting:)
    Ann

• helenh
    15 years ago

Glenda, I had to ask for the deal Pam got. If I hadn't read it here, I would not have known to ask. They do the really steep markdowns for landscapers and contractors that will come in and clean them out. This happened last year, but I missed out. I was waiting for ornamental grasses that got really ratty looking to go for cheap. I was checking very frequently and they were not selling. Then they were all gone. They sold the whole lot to contractors. I was bad about hunting for bargains before; I think I am ruined now.

• mulberryknob
    15 years ago

Back 15 years ago, a good friend walked into Tahlequah WM and saw bulbs for sale. She put several in her cart. The man who rang them up said, "Get all of those you want. Anything left at 5 this evening is going to the dump." She said, "I'll be back at 5." She went home got the pickup and went back at 5. Long Story short--she took home packages that totaled $2,000 for $10.00 or maybe it was $20.00. All bulbs. This was the first week in December. She gave me lots of them as I had givenher iris and daylilies and lots of shrubs from my garden. The daff family 6 or 7 varieties are still blooming, and are much increased, but the gophers ate most of the tulips, hyacinths and other tasty stuff. But there is one clump of tulips still blooming. Tall stemmed white in a clump with 10 stems last year all from one bulb. Ineed to thin them but I'm afraid to. Dorothy

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Dorothy, now that is what I call a bargain!

I don't bother with anything but daffs anymore. We have so many moles (I guess that's what they are) that the bulbs are gone before they can bloom one time.

• helenh
    15 years ago

It is voles Glenda. Meadow mice with short tails. I have them. I have to put lilies in pots and also have just about given up on the good tasting bulbs. They are underground or just at the surface. My cats go out in the field and catch rats when I have voles in the yard. Moles eat grubs and don't bother me because my "lawn" is not that beautiful. Blackie digs them up and that makes a mess.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

OK I don't like something eating your bulbs.
    But what I have do not eat my bulbs they make volcanoes and you hit it w/the mower when they dry out or step on it and twist your leg... Craw-dads.
    the low area of my yard where I have the water logged lawn in the spring or after any heavy rain fall. All over. And since the water table has changed the last couple of years they are more pronounce than ever.
    I used to feel sorry for them. but after having to have both blades on the rider sharpened 3 times last summer, nope not so much now.
    You were very fortunate w/the bulbs Dorothy. I would be nervous about separating them too.
    Bonnie

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?