Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryo_gw

glossy abelia?

maryo
17 years ago

Has anyone had good luck with abelia? I planted seven knockout roses. It seemed like a no brainer to me but they did poorly. So I'm thinking of putting ableia in their place. It's 50/50 sun/shade. All my beds are raised. I don't have a pic of this particular bed but you can see others like it on my page.

Comments (20)

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

It does really well for me. One of my favorites. It blooms for a long time, and is still in bloom today. Hummingbirds love it. My oldest one is next to the front of our house, with a southwest exposure, and shaded by a honey locust. I start cuttings by sticking them in my open cold frame. They root easily. I have one planted at the south corner of our house. It is shaded by a large viburnum. Although it has been there only 2 years, it is growing well and blooming.

Marian

• maryo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Do you use rooting hormone? I'm inthused. Thankyou.

• mulberryknob
    17 years ago

Perhaps I bought a weak plant but the one I purchased two years ago did not survive in a raised bed in 50/50 sun shade. Looked fairly good until Dec of 2005. But that hard freeze also took my fig back to the ground--first time in about 10 years and also my hydrangea. I thought perhaps it wasn't hardy here but may try again. And is there ANY rose that will resist blackspot here? New Dawn and Betty Prior did the best for me until I got greedy and planted David Austin roses that were advertised as remarkably resistant to blackspot--but weren't. I sprayed every week until a shoulder injury stopped me using my pump up sprayer--and all my roses now are covered in blackspot.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Maryo, no, I don't use rooting hormone.

Mulberryknob, my plants are close to our house. If I remember right, I have tried them away from the house's protection and lost them. Since I have several rooted cuttings, I am going to try them further from the house. I just hope ( if they live) that they won't become more deer food!

Marian

• christie_sw_mo
    17 years ago

I'm wanting to plant abelia to attract swallowtail butterflies. I didn't know hummingbirds like it too. : )
    Some sites say abelia is hardy to zone 5 but may die back to the ground in a cold winter so I'm hoping it would do ok here.
    I'd like to plant a dwarf cultivar rather than something that gets 10 or 12 feet tall but not if it's going to die or be ignored by the butterflies.
    Marian and Maryo - Do either of you know what kind of abelia you have? Does it get pretty large? Mulberryknob - Could yours have been a cultivar that's not as hardy?

I'm really really hoping it would attract Tiger Swallowtails. Do you remember seeing lots of these?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1120582}}

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Christie, mine is the common 'Glossy Abelia', A.x grandiflora.

{{gwi:1120583}}

It starts blooming in early summer, and still has scattered blooms. This pic was taken earlier.

Marian

• maryo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've been unable to find GLOSSY Abelia. I've found another kind but I want the Glossy. I guess it's the wrong time of year. I see it still blooming in front of a McDonald's here.I'm checking another greenhouse this afternoon. If anyone has a source, let me know.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

I sent for mine years ago from Vernon Barnes And Son Nursery, McMinnville, Tenn. I have their new catalog, and it is still listed in th Evergreens section, for $1.98 each. It says they are hardy zones 4-8, but I don't think that is correct.
    Mine always sends out very long shoots too. I cut off any that get where I don't want them. Fall or spring would be a good time to do it. Three years ago I really pruned it, thinning out many of the shoots from the ground, and making it more of a fountain shape so the plants that are under it could grow. It worked real well.
    On the highway to town there is a large dark-leaved variety in someone's front yard. I'd like a start of it, but am not brave enough to ask. :-(
    It is left to grow natural, and is beautiful, espacially when covered with blooms.

Marian

• christie_sw_mo
    17 years ago

Marian - I will send for one of their catalogs. That sounds very cheap for a shrub and I'd like to see what else they have as well. Thanks for posting the pic too. I know what you mean about wanting to stop to ask about a plant. You have to wonder what kind of person will come to the door. Maybe they'll be out in their yard one day when you drive by.
    Gld - I was thinking I might have seen 'Edward Goucher' at Lowe's and almost called them to see if they'd remember whether they usually carry it. I'll be sure and check for it next spring. I have a spot on the southest corner of my home where I might put one. Quite a bit of the foundation is showing there so it would be nice if it held its leaves for most of the winter. How big has your Edward Goucher gotten?

• christie_sw_mo
    17 years ago

Marian - I will send for one of their catalogs. That sounds very cheap for a shrub and I'd like to see what else they have as well. Thanks for posting the pic too. I know what you mean about wanting to stop to ask about a plant. You have to wonder what kind of person will come to the door. Maybe they'll be out in their yard one day when you drive by.
    Gld - I was thinking I might have seen 'Edward Goucher' at Lowe's and almost called them to see if they'd remember whether they usually carry it. I'll be sure and check for it next spring. I have a spot on the southest corner of my home where I might put one. Quite a bit of the foundation is showing there so it would be nice if it held its leaves for most of the winter. How big has your Edward Goucher gotten?

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Most everything I have bought from Vernon Barnes is much larger than advertized. I was always pleased with their plants. I haven't ordered from anyone for several years...just buy locally.

• maryo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lowes has Edward Goucher and the tag says sun. They look thin and leggy but they are now $3.00. The local greenhouse has a Rosey Abelia. They look lush and beautiful. They are $25.00. I suppose I get what I pay for? The Glossy Abelia I've read about on the web says sun/part sun. Maybe I should wait it out and find the Glossy. Also does Vernon Barnes have their own web site? I can't seem to find it.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

I hope I will be permitted to post this link .

Here is a link that might be useful: Vernon Barnes

• christie_sw_mo
    17 years ago

Marian - The site you linked had a phone number so I called and ordered a catalog. Looks like they might have affordable fruit trees also. That'd be great!
    I ordered an abelia last week from Bluestone Perennials called 'Silver Anniversary'. It should stay small. It's a variegated one and I hope has silvery foliage from a distance instead of just looking sickly. I couldn't find many comments on it so we'll see.

• amazon
    17 years ago

I guess I will haft to try one of these. Sound nice and looks beutiful.
    As for the roses they are a real pain in the but unless you have a ton of time to spend on them. I have decided to stick with the climbers and minitures. I can keep those pretty without all the work. No blackspot. I just don't think the Ozarks is a hospitible enviroment for them.

• KeithJames
    15 years ago

Is the glossy abelia in the rose family? I had no idea, but it was implied a few times in this thread? I just got one and am very excited about it. It is just beautiful to me and it hasn't even bloomed yet. It looks like wispy tossed fair maiden hair or a whimsical, living birds nest. Is this really in the rose family?

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Diegojames, it isn't in the rose family. It is a Caprifolia. It is related to Weigelas, Honeysuckles, Viburnums, and Beautybushes, plus others that I am not familiar with. They mostly have tubular flowers....loved by Hummingbirds.

• KeithJames
    9 years ago

Thanks. My abelia is doing well and i got another to go with it. A different cultivar with just slightly larger leaves. They are together and kept as very large round shrubs. The very cold winter, very cold, this past in eastern PA did a number on one of the abelia though. Didn't kill it but it is still in July trying to bloom out it's leaves fully. I just hope a second extra cold winter in a row doesn't knock it out all together!

• LillyoftheValley2
    9 years ago

Great addition to any garden!! Mine is on the south side of our home and once the sun get so high a maple tree helps it with shade. Great for butterflies. Cant wait to hear how your new baby does in your garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 easy steps to growning a garden on a budget

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA