Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

lawn weed killer in the fall

christie_sw_mo
15 years ago

Do you think it's too late to apply broadleaf weed killer to my lawn? I mostly want to eliminate some dandelions so there won't be so many seeds blowing into my neighbor's yard next spring. I don't mind a less than perfect lawn but don't want to anger the neighbor either. I've been searching on the web and found a link that said not to apply after a killing frost. I think we had scattered frost here but maybe not the "killing" type. lol

Would I be wasting my money to apply it this late? How do I know if my weeds are dormant?

Comments (7)

• helenh
    15 years ago

If I used a lawn weed killer, there would be no lawn.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Several years ago, I put Weed & Feed on the lawn and my husband accused me of putting on too much because it "killed the grass". In truth, there wasn't much grass to kill. lol We had huge bare patches where it killed the weeds and we had to reseed. It's in better shape now than it was then but we still have a lot of weeds.

• bunny6
    15 years ago

I have never applied weed killer in the fall, only in the spring. If you kill alot weeds, then you will have to sow with a winter grass. I quit using weed and feed, because it left bare spots. I found that fertilizing in the spring and fall stimulated my grass to grow and it choked out most of the weeds. You could check on the lawn forum. Good luck!
    Ann:)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Most herbicides tell you to wait until the plant is actively growing; I would think that would be spring. They are so expensive, I think I would wait.

• pamcrews
    15 years ago

Hi Christie. I would think at this point if the dandelions are getting ready to bloom there is not much point in trying to kill them by chemicals. Probably pass the point of no return....I would say run a lawn mower over them or weed wack them to keep them down. Then in the spring use the weed and feed. Just my thoughts as I would rather spend my $$$ on end of the year plant and flower sales now....ya ya....(big grin)

Pam

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've decided to wait until spring. I need you all to remind me though. lol I need to kill them early enough so they won't go to seed. A guy at Ace said he uses a liquid broadleaf weed killer that attaches to a hose. It's cheaper because it doesn't have fertilizer. I think I'll try that so I can just hit the areas that have a lot of dandelions.
    In the lawn forum they say to fertilize first, wait a couple weeks, and then kill the weeds so they'll be actively growing but oh my gosh I don't think I want my lawn to grow any faster in the spring than it already does. I have not doubt that they weeds will be "actively growing."
    Do you ever see weed killer on clearance this time of year? That would be great to find it cheap and put it back til spring.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

christie....
    A pre-emergent chemical can be applied in the fall, that prevents the weed seeds from germinating in the spring. Many brand names are available, so you will need to read the labels carefully to determine if it will control the types of weeds you have. Some are liquid concentrate, others are granular (often the easiest to apply).
    Here's a link to the Weed Wizard that lists most available types.
    If some of the weeds are perennial plants, you will have to use a post-emergent treatment after they begin active growth in the spring.
    Dandelions are especially troublesome for me, as the nutheads next door eat them and the ones that bloom and set seed, they see next years salad. But I think half of the seed wind up in my lawn and garden!
    Good luck!
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Weed Wizard