Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

fall color - brown and dead

helenh
14 years ago

I came home to a brown yard. There was a frost while I was away. My burning bush is brilliant though. The petunias are still OK. I have a lot of clean up. I am sort of relieved the tomatoes are gone but I will miss eating them. I didn't have that many but I neglected my flowers and spent time on the tomatoes this year. I can see some things I want to change and it is a good time to do it. I can't do any damage because everything looks pretty bad. It is good chain saw and brush pile weather.

Comments (11)

• rockguy
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yeah, I like the fall colors but I'm always glad to see the browning of the first hard freeze. It's the first milestone to spring! Good-bye ticks and mosquitos, see you next year.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I think the colors are much more intense this year. Everything has changed in the yard but the October Blaze red maple and it doesn't even have a tinge yet. I think it needs more full sun but it is too late now. It is about 10 feet tall.

• jessaka
    14 years ago

i wish that fall would last a little longer. now that my flowers are slowing down there is almost nothing to do in the garden except to mulch. i miss my garden too, but it won't be long. this winter i can sit and read, go to craft shows, see santa, have a turkey dinner at the church that opens it to the public, etc. but i will miss my garden.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome jessaka. I don't recall you posting here before. I want to go to craft shows but I think they are all over around here. Do you know of a good one?

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

There are lots of garden related things to do over the winter...!
    I call it "winter gardening"

1) Order Seed Catalogs before they all run out!

2) Do your research for things you're interested in, for instance, if you're into vegetables, cozy up with a cup of tea and catch up on the vegetable forum threads.

3) Consider doing some Winter Sowing which starts December 21st, winter solstice. (Check out the forum here at GardenWeb).

4) Create a garden planning calendar for next year.

5) Check out local garden related classes and organizations. Construction has already begun for the third botanical center in the state of Missouri and it's right here in Springfield. The organization the Friends of the Garden is a wonderful group of gardeners that has already raised the 4.3 million dollars to get it built. They are looking for people to participate in the creation of the several dozen gardens for the botanical center. You don't have to be a plant expert, you just have to be willing to help and hang out with other gardeners. It's a fantastic opportunity to learn and be a part of your local garden offerings.

6) Read the Friends of the Garden Blog. By far the most comprehensive source for all things garden related in the Southwest Missouri region.

7) Take classes, winter is the perfect time to increase your knowledge indoors when you don't have to be out in the garden:

Greene County Master Gardener Classes will begin in January 2010
    They will be held in the evenings on Tuesday and Thursday beginning the end of January through the beginning of March 2010. If you're interested and would like to be added to the list for information, please call Nancy at the extension office at 417.862. 9284.

To learn more about upcoming Master Gardener classes in Taney, Stone and Christian counties, as well as other counties in southwest Missouri, simply call (417) 357. 6812

8) Additional garden related programs being offered for 2010, many are free!

January 16, 2010: Gardening Inside and Out St Johns Cancer Center

January 30, 2010: Creative Kitchen Garden  Mid-Town Library

February 20, 2010: Well Fed Neighbor  Urban Gardening  Mid Town Library

March 1  April 12, 2010: Mo Gardens  St Johns Cancer Center, Monday evenings 6-9pm

March 20, 2010: Veggies From Start to Storage, or Beginning Vegetable Gardening  St. Johns Cancer Center

March 20, 2010: Home Herb Gardening  Mid-Town Library

August 21, 2010: Fall Into Gardening  St Johns Cancer Center

October 16, 2010: Going Green in the Garden  St Johns Cancer Center

3rd Thursday of each month, starting in January, there will be gardening classes at the Rutledge Wilson Farm in the evening. ChildrenÂs classes will be offered during the summer months.

For more details and to register for classes call:
    MU Extension 417-862-9284

9) Catch up on shows like documentaries, garden related programs like The Gardener's Diary, The Victory Garden, and specials, many of which you can view online:

BOTANY OF DESIRE is a documentary which tells the utterly original story of everyday plants and the way they have domesticated humankind. An interpretation of the relationship between plants and people. This two-hour documentary explores plant evolution and takes viewers from the potato fields of Peru and Idaho, the apple forests of Kazakhstan, and the tulip markets of Amsterdam.

View online in it's entirety: here

This is another related program by the same presenter on LINK TV (a cable access channel) which is timely:

Deep Agriculture
    Traditional methods of agriculture in most developed nations have long ignored environmental concerns. Factors such as soil erosion, water shortage and the impact of chemicals on bio-systems have been overlooked in favour of massive crop yields and cheaper food. But what impact does this have on our health and our environment?

View online in it's entirety: here

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wish I lived closer to Springfield or it was closer to me. I visit N G Park in Springfield and Powell Gardens near Kansas City when I can. Thank God for people willing to set aside land and spend time and money to provide such wonderful places.

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

I think the problem this year was that it rained for so long during the time the colors were changing. We probably had two sunny days out of 15. Most were raining or cloudy and overcast. Hence we couldn't enjoy the beautiful sunlight shining through changing colors of the leaves at their height.

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

helenh,

What city and county are you in?

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No city, McDonald county. Springfield is not out of reach but a bit too far for classes and workshops. Neosho and Joplin are my shopping areas.

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

Hi helenh,

All this sunny weather has had me outside and offline. I'll see what I can find for you. In the meantime, I highly recommend The Botany Shop in Joplin. The owner, Mike Shade is a wealth of information and has some really amazing plants, like tri colored butterfly bush, wisteria that blooms up to three times in one season, amazing blackberries and raspberries, and more.

Also, if you haven't visited Sandstone Gardens just a hair west of Joplin, I highly recommend it as well.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Violet I often shop at the Botany Shop and have been to Sandstone Gardens to look for sale items. They have nice yard ornaments and fountains. Much of their stuff is out of my price range. Sunday brunch at Down Stream and then to Sandstone Gardens is a nice Sunday morning outing. I have a big concrete dog from there.