Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Some Mums

gldno1
14 years ago

The lavender ones in the Well house bed have finally opened:

{{gwi:1120633}}

I think I will divide them next spring and put lots at the edges of the other beds for fall color.

Comments (15)

• jspeachyn5
    14 years ago

Oh how pretty.
    I just love that color.
    What a great show of color for this time of year.
    Bonnie

• caroline_2008
    14 years ago

Your mums are beautiful. I have some like the

red ones , also have yellow and white. I too

think mine need dividing.

Happy Halloween\

Caroline

• pamcrews
    14 years ago

Wow...I have never seen mums grow that large. How many years have they been growing? Just beautiful!

• helenh
    14 years ago

Very pretty. I like that color and you have a nice big clump.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If I recall, that is three clumps all from divisions of one mum. I am too cheap to every buy three of anything....except at Bluestone where you have to.

They have been in that spot for several years now.

I know they are ready to be divided again next spring.

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

gldno1

Gorgeous! Did you prune the mums at all this summer to delay bloom? If so... when and at what height?

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Violet, I just pinch them a couple of times before July 4th.

That probably does delay bloom, but I do it to keep them from getting too leggy.

I just pinch out the tops maybe 3 to 4 inches or less all over. It is a very time-consuming process.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Glenda - I thought I had commented on your photo but I guess I hadn't. They're beautiful! I love flowers planted in mass like that.

• jaceysgranny
    14 years ago

How gorgeous! I have some white ones that my sister sent me when I was in the hospital a couple of years ago. They have buds all over them but are still long and leggy. I did pinch them back until July 4th and now I'm wondering if they will be able to bloom before the frost or freeze gets them. They aren't multiplying anything like yours. Hopefully they and my 2 yellow ones I planted this year will eventually be that pretty.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have a different type of mum that is straw colored and I let it get way too tall and now it has fallen over. It is a much earlier bloomer. Next spring I am digging it up and dividing it and try to take better care of it.

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

gldno1,

You can prune mums back until July 4th in order to keep them from getting leggy and splitting and to delay bloom till fall.

• helenh
    14 years ago

How do the mums look now, Glenda? This would be a good time to buy some cheap. After they bloom, they go on sale but then you have a long time to wait. I used to buy mum cuttings from Bluestone perennials. A little cutting will grow into a good sized plant by fall if taken care of. They really like to be divided and are so easy to grow from cuttings. I tried to get some that bloomed earlier and I found that those had more bugs that the late fall bloomers. I think our dry summers have gotten me out of mums. I like cushion mums best for the yard but I also had some spider mums at one time. This is a pretty time of year. I am looking out the window at the woods and I see yellows and reds. My yard looks bad but I don't feel bad because it is kind of like dead corn stalks being used for decoration - normal and beautiful in a way.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I forgot how old this thread was. I don't suppose the mums still look good. I was not being a smart horse like animal. Some of my plants are still looking good among the ruin. Petunias, cilantro, tiny leaf lettuce, J. maple, burning bush, a blue salvia, ornamental grass are all I can think of.

• jessaka
    14 years ago

how pretty. i keep seeing these mums in stores that are in mounds and look so ugly, and then i saw some in a yard that were wild looking. so i got two mums this year and hope to see them just as yours are. Love your garden.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The rain knocked most of my mums over and the salmon pink daisy-like one has never been prime because of the rains.

My petunias still look good and the nicotiana sylvestris (the tall white one) and one lonely iris is blooming again.

I have a little patch of red snaps that look nice too.

Thank you jessaka.