Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beerhog or kaye?

Posted by jspeachyn5 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 14, 08 at 11:47

Kaye you had mentioned that you store your EE's 2 feet underground. Is this right?
I was wanting to put mine to bed the weekend. Was wanting to try your method of underground this year.
I normally just heavy mulch.
So if you would not mind could I have some really clear steps to doing this?
Are they just 2' deep? Mulch? In something or just bare in the soil. Do you pre treat or clean?
Thanks for any help.
I'm going to move mine to there new bed this weekend.
They will have more all around sun and plenty of room for growth.
The past years they only had sun one one side and the brick wall was to their backs. So not as much room to spread. they have alway been fair size. But this year they were quite large. Hoping for a far happier plant next year.
Once again thank you.
Bonnie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beerhog or kaye?

I have done it by a couple of methods. First year I just dug a hole deep enough to cover the large tree pots about 6 inches. I dug the EE and shook the dirt off and put as many in the pots as I could and then buried them. I have also put the EE in pots but dug a hole about a foot deep and put straw bales around the hole. I put the pots of EE in the hole and covered with leaves to the top of the straw bales. In the spring just dig the pots out and replant. Do not put dirt in the pots just the bulbs.
Hope this clears it up a bit.

o

That is a good idea if I could dig a hole that deep in my rocks. The hay bales around a foot deep hole and leaves in the center might be something I will do - kind of like lasagna gardening. It could be a place to winter plants then a new planting spot next summer.

o

• Posted by kaye 7a AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 19, 08 at 14:47

My husband has been digging a large, deep hole (when we take out the banana trees) and dropping a large tree container with good drainage down in it. Then he throws all the ee in, topping them with dirt. They are buried an average of 2' underground. Beerhog's methods work well for him, too. If I didn't have a spot to dig 2' down, I'd go with his idea. Main thing is to keep them from freezing..so depth will depend on frostline.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here