Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamcrews_gw

Let's See Your Fall Colors.....

pamcrews
15 years ago

I just love fall. All the wonderful colors. Below are a few pics from my neck of the woods..looking out my front and back doors and then out on the lake. Let's see yours!

Pam

Lake of the Ozarks

{{gwi:1120755}}

{{gwi:1120756}}

HA HA Tonka State Park

{{gwi:1120757}}

Comments (26)

• helenh
    15 years ago

You live in a very pretty spot. It is raining thank goodness so no pictures from me. I will have to look for some color around here. Did you look up Tiger Eyes sumac; it would be beautiful in your setting.

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Our trees haven't changed yet, still green. I like your pictures, especially the lake. I live 3 miles from the Arkansas River and 5 miles from Lake Dardanelle. You live in a nice place.

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

Beautiful pics, beautiful colors.
    I have two maple trees in front and people stop to
    admire them when they turn a beautiful red a little
    later. Happy gardening, caroline

• pamcrews
    Original Author
    15 years ago

H..E..Y.... Where is everyone's pictures? Let's see 'em!

Pam

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

It's still mostly green here. One of my dogwoods is very pretty this year though and I'll post a picture of it soon. I have a Japanese Maple that almost always gets great fall colors but it's still green as are my other maples. My oak trees usually just turn brown but some years they are more reddish. I'm anxious to see what they do this year since I read it's supposed to be a good year for fall color.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Ok Pam - I went in search of red leaves today with my camera. The first photo is my smallest dogwood. Hope it turns that color every year. The second photo is my biggest dogwood. It turns a brownish burgundy every year and is not very showy.
    The last photo is burning bush. It only has a few red leaves right now.

• pamcrews
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pretty....Christie you've got some nice fall colors going. Love those burning bushes. I started a few small ones here this year and the dear found them. So much for being dear resistant! I'm really wondering how well they are going to do as I don't think they get much sun with the tree canopy.

Okay...the rest of you....let's see 'em.

Pam

• gldno1
    15 years ago

christie, that is the prettiest colored dogwood I have ever seen. Do you know the variety? Of course, it could just be the particular spot of soil or the weather. It is always hard to pinpoint something like color.

We still don't have much color here yet.

We were in Christian County last week and they have some really pretty color happening now. I didn't take my camera; wish I had.

• helenh
    15 years ago

I finally have some fall color but it is a cloudy day. Bald cypress is not a pretty fall color. Blueberries in the microclimate of the barn are the yellow plants. Nandina with berries. The giant miscanthus is really blowing today. Burning bush pops up from the seeds it drops; so far I like the surpise plants. I guess it has taken over the woods in some places. Click to enlarge:

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Helen, you have some beautiful fall color going on! How do the blueberries do for you? do you feed them with anything particular to keep them going?

I have a few bushes, but they don't seem to be prospering.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Great color Helen.
    Giant Miscanthus is wonderful.
    Hope yours isn't like mine, lasted 2 1/2 days. Almost all gone today.

Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

The blue berries bear every year and I don't do much to them except to water when it is dry. They get the run off from the barn so a quarter inch is a good rain for them. I have planted blueberries in other spots and had no luck. I think I put lots of peat moss in when I planted them years ago. Sometimes I mulch them with leaves just to make the bed look better.

• pamcrews
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wonderful colors Helen....and thanks for sharing. I too love the Miscanthus. Enjoy those beauiful colors because they seem to pass too quickly. We have been using the leaf blower almost daily this week and I think this time next week we'll be back to bare trees. A truly sad sight!

Pam

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Beautiful photos! I love seeing the fall colors. I think after the rain/storms tonight there won't be many leaves left.

If you have pine trees, the needles that fall off of those make great mulch for blueberries. They make the soil more acidic and they work quicker than most things I've seen suggested.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I like the run-off idea. I still have three in pots that I need to get in the ground.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Pam, I just reread this post and see I didn't comment on your beautiful surroundings....in fact, I hadn't seen the pictures, yet had seen the others....what is that about?

Well, let me correct that omission. You live in a very beautiful area. I love the picture of the drive with the woods surrounding it. Sorry for being so late to comment.

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

Here are some of my fall colors!!

From Marigolds

Late planted marigolds.

Sedum & mums

From garden flowers 3

This Maple is in front of my house.

From Marigolds

This burning bush is 3 years old and first year to be red

From garden flowers 3

another burning bush

From garden flowers 3

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

I have enjoyed all of your beautiful fall colors , its
    the best season of the year for color. Thanks for
    sharing. caroline

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Caroline, I enjoyed your pictures...even cheated and viewed your album! I didn't know you could embed pictures from Picasa. I just started using it.

I envy you that gorgeous maple in the front yard and love the combination of the sedum and mum....you gave me some good ideas.

From The Farm

This is my October Blaze Maple; it is just a few years old.
    Drat! How did you get the larger picture to embed?

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

What a beautiful tree you have in your front yard Caroline. So many of the maples around here are still showing extensive damage from the ice storm as are many other trees. My parents have two hard maples that were badly damaged and used to be so pretty. It just makes me sad to see a beautifully colored tree that has the top half missing and shaped so badly. Yours looks great.

Your October Blaze is going to have wonderful color Gld. That may be what I see in town that's one of my favorites. There are some that look good every year and hold their fall color for a long time. There's one called October Glory that I think is planted a lot. We planted Autumn Blaze (I think) and red maples and none of them have outstanding color.

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

Thanks ladies for looking, there are actually two
    maples in front, like this

From garden flowers 3

I had them trimmed a couple months ago.The pic I sent was
    the tree on the right, you cant see the other one for it.
    Gldno Your tree is beautiful, Mine usually turn red and I
    get lots of comments. I also enjoyed the farm pics as I
    was raised on a farm.My mother had lots of chickens.

About the large pics, when you get your pic in your
    picasso album , there is a place on the righ that gives
    you choice of sizes. That is where I get the large size.

Hope that helps.

caroline

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

What great color. You all have.
    Those maples are so pretty.
    Do either of you have a problem with suckers on your maples?
    My it is such a pretty day in your pics. Ok I got that thought in my head, but will it last until April?

Bonnie

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

I have had no problem with suckers, the maples were here
    when I moved here over 20 years ago.I have been told they
    are caddo (sp) maples.

caroline

• helenh
    15 years ago

Bonnie is correct; we will have to keep those pictures in our heads because the color will soom be gone. Your trees have a nice shape. I see no broken branches. It was rainy here today and very dreary.

• pamcrews
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What wonderful pics! Thanks all for sharing. Here at the lake it's all brown and bare limbs on the trees now....fall happenend way too fast! (I guess now I can only wait for the snow to see what my first season red twig dogwoods are going to look like...hehe)

Pam
    Lake of the Ozarks

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Oh Pam please post a picture of your red twig dogwoods when the snow is here. I have them on my list to plant in the spring.
    Bonnie

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz