Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Off Topic but related to accessing the forum

gldno1
15 years ago

I have had horrific problems for the last two days accessing the internet. I haven't been able to reach Total Wireless; just get their message. The downed tower shouldn't affect us, should it, Christie?

I am sure it is their problem because I can use the computer for everything else.

Comments (6)

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

gldno1,
    Does your computer have a check system?
    It should. In your network set up. There should be a place where it will ask you if you would like to set up a "new" connection, or diagnose your currant set up.
    You should be able to run that program and it will say at the end if your computer is connected and running fine. Or it will tell you you need to contact your internet supplier.
    Hope this helps.
    Bonnie

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I didn't even know there was a downed tower. Ours has been working ok. A couple weeks ago, I was having to unplug the cord from our router occasionally because I was losing my connection. It lasted a few days and would only keep a connection for an hour or two at a time. I thought our router might be getting worn out but now everything's working ok so I guess the problem was on their end. Were you able to leave them a message? They have a small staff but have been pretty good to return calls in the past for us. I'm so glad to not have dial-up anymore that they could do no wrong in my eyes. lol

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have just now been able to get back and check your responses.
    Another annoying thing is, I can't get a human response; just punch 1, 2, etc.

Bonnie, I will try to find what you are referring to. I have Windows XP Professional.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

gldno1,
    Windows is the operating system.
    What brand of computer do you have?
    That will tell me where your system check should be located.
    You should have one already programed onto your setup. If it has been removed you may have to find a place to download it again.
    Also if your router keeps dropping the connection, Try this.
    Turn your router off,
    Turn your computer off,
    Then unplug your router from your computer,
    Then unplug both,
    Let sit for 10 minutes,
    Then replug your router back into the computer,
    Then replug your power to both,
    Then power on your router,
    Then your computer.

That is what the internet service told me to do when mine kept dropping the connection.
    Good luck.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

You have my sympathy. Computer problems drive me crazy. My Norton subscription expired last week; I bought new virus protection on-line. I kept getting a red message that I wasn't protected. I was up at past 3:00am chating with someone from India. He took over my computer and fixed it. I also talked to India earlier this year when my modem went out and when my printer was not compatable with my new computer. It is very stressful.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My computer is one my son built for me....no brand. I will try to find what the processor is.

I finally got a call last night from Total Wireless. Justin told me that my signal was weak. If I have more trouble they will send someone out to check the antenna on the roof.
    He said he tweaked some things whatever that means.

So far, things are working well this morning.

I hate computer problems too. Right now my screen image jerks badly when I first boot up....then settles down. I don't know if it is monitor or computer. Will probably just wait until my son is down for the holidays.