Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oakleif

Encore Azaleas

oakleif
16 years ago

Recently saw some azaleas blooming. They were beautiful and i thought, azaleas only bloom in spring so i had to ask about them. They are called Encore Azaleas and bloom off and on till frost. They apparently come in all colors like the regular azaleas

Am i the only one who is so behind the times on these azaleas?

Have found a place in Little Rock that has them. So there must be more.

vickie

Comments (7)

• razorback33
    16 years ago

vickie...
    Here's an article from UARK CES from a couple of years ago about the Encore Azaleas.
    While they are said to perform like other evergreen Azaleas, I didn't find that to be the case in my garden. They have been available for about 10 years and I purchased three when they first appeared. The two I planted in the garden, alongside other evergreen Azaleas, only lasted about one year, before expiring. The remaining one was left in the pot and is still living and in the same pot. I never had the courage to plant it, as long as it was surviving and continuing to bloom, spring & fall.
    You may want to try the cultivars tested by UARK, since growing conditions in your area would be similar.
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Encore Azaleas

• pauln
    16 years ago

I'm not a big fan of encore azaleas. The colors just don't get me excited, and while it's novel to have a smattering of flowers in the autumn, they don't seem to be flush in the spring like their cousins.

Of course, I'm kinda of an azalea snob, and I prefer the natives above all else. Our native Mountain Azalea, Rhododendron prinophylum is beyond compare with it's light pink trumpets which smell like cloves on a warm spring day. I think ours is even nicer than the eastern natives like canescens and austrinum. We have another native, R. viscosum, the swamp azalea, which is pure white and blooms about Memorial Day in the ozarks. It also has an amazing odor. I don't find it particularily swampy, but usually see it in a rich shady location close to creeks or on a shady tallus rocky terrace. Both of these are available at native nurseries or sometimes at larger garden centers.

The Encores are patented and quite pricey right now, but should soon become cheaper whenever the patent expires.

• oakleif
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Paul and razorback for the info. I knew i could depend on our forum to know something. I saw that they are not recomended for north of zone 7 and that leaves me out anyway.

Am of the old school and have problems with patenting plants and try to avoid buying them.
    I like the native azaleas too Paul.

I sure did injoy seeing those beautiful pink blooms of the Encore azaleas tho.
    Thanks again,
    vickie

• razorback33
    16 years ago

Paul...
    Do you grow R. prinophyllum in your garden? I'm curious as to the type of soil that satisfies this particular species.
    I have tried growing them twice, in ammended red clay and without ammendments and they do not survive. I have had no problem with all of the other Eastern native Azaleas or Rhododendron species. It is native in this area, but have not observed them in their habitat, to determine environment and soil type.
    Rb

• pauln
    16 years ago

Razorback, they can be rather tricky to grow outside of their normal habitat. I see them in the hills on moist rich well drained soils often near creeks or under bluff overhangs. I have also seen and smelled them growing on top of a fairly dry outcrop under the boney shade of shortleaf pines and dry oaks.

I think drainage is key, and the right amount of water when it's dry until well established. I would think that clay would be disasterous for them.

I bought one from Mary Ann King, Pine Ridge Gardens last spring. I planted it in a new raised bed that I built last winter. It is filled entirely with home made compost, peat moss, municipal compost (I can't speak highly enough about this stuff!), and maybe some of that crappy bagged stuff sold at the big boxes as "organic humus" which is mostly sand with some bark products added for color. It has thrived in it's first growing season here. It held all of it's leaves, and put up a second wave of growth during late spring. It's got 2 flower buds for next year! I can't wait. We barely missed the Easter Freeze of aught seven here in Little Rock, so it didn't get burnt.

This is my third native azalea. I have a cansecens in simular situation, but perhaps brighter, and an austrinum also planted last year. Some of the foliage got a bit of sunscald on it, but it's held up pretty well. I think it might also have a flower cluster bud for next spring.

All in all, my luck with native azaleas has been spotty at best. I don't water enough during the dry endless days of summer on my boney west-face hillside. Perhaps I should enjoy them in their home grounds instead of attempting to grow them, but I just can't help myself.

Some time in the next year or two I'm going to attempt a bog garden with some leftover pond liner. When I have a thriving umbrella magnolia I'll know that I have reached my limits.

• razorback33
    16 years ago

Thanks Paul...
    I suppose I can vouch for the fact that they don't like red clay, even with good drainage.
    I checked Mary Ann's online catalog and didn't find R. prinophyllum, only the other 2 Ark. natives. Has been a number of years since I ordered from her and didn't realize she had expanded into trees and shrubs.
    Checked with a nursery in GA (Lazy K) that specializes in the Eastern Native Azaleas and he said he doesn't propagate R. prinophyllum anymore, that they were costing him too much time and money. He indicated that they were the most difficult of any of the Eastern species to grow.
    Given their wide range, one would think that they would be adaptable to almost any type of soil and habitat. Guess not.
    Good luck with yours!
    Rb

• pauln
    16 years ago

You're right Razorback, they're tricky. I transplanted one a few years back from a friend's property in the Ouachitas. It has struggled since, and I wonder if it will ever bloom.

Mary Ann might have a few stuck back somewhere, just not enough to list. You may want to ask if she's got any ready to sell.