Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oakleif

Bougainvillea Inside For Winter

oakleif
16 years ago

When i was in ETX i bought a bougainvillea as my

neice said she grew one for years by putting it in a sunny window in the winter.

I've been to the tropical plant forum and found quite abit info on growing the vine indoors in winter. It seems very doable.

Has anyone here ever grown bourgainvillea? What luck did you have?

thanks

vickie

Comments (7)

• kaye
    16 years ago

Vickie, I've had one in a large pot for years and when we take it in, I cut it back severely. It pops right back and is blooming by the time we bring it out in the spring. Ours goes into the barely heated greenhouse..so I think taking it in the house shouldn't be a big problem.

• oakleif
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Kaye, I had'nt made up my mind to cut it back or not. Since it comes back over winter than i'm going to cut it back.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

I got a bougainvillia plant for Mother's Day this year so I've been researching how to save it through the winter. I wish Vickie was still around so I could ask her if she had good luck with hers. I'm afraid my house is going to be too warm and my garage too cold. Wish I had a sun room or a greenhouse. Has anyone else tried to keep one as a houseplant in the winter?

• goshen
    13 years ago

Hi Christi, I did keep my bougainvillea inside the first year and cut it back it did ok and came back but i decided it was'nt worth it the next year and gave it to someone from Texas. I kept it in my second bathroom and blocked the heater vent, so it stayed cool but did'nt get much light.
    I surely miss you guys, but just can't manuver the ads and junk on GW. Could write a book on the changes in my life now. One just can't fight getting older. LOL So just have to relax and go with the flow,
    I had forgotten my password for oakleif and changed my online name to get back on.
    How are all of you guys? HUGS all around
    Vickie

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Well Hi Vickie! I didn't expect you to reply. Nice surprise. : ) Sorry to hear about your computer woes. Do you still use a dial-up connection? Don't forget that Gardenweb has a computer forum. Someone there might be able to tell you how to turn off the ads. I get an occasional pop-up but I'm not sure which site they come from. My hubby is the computer genious in the family. I'm pretty sure he has turned off some ads but I don't know how he did it.

I repotted my bougainvillea after I got it. I didn't realize that it's one of those plants that flowers better when the roots are crowded. It went all summer without blooming. Now I'm finally getting just a few flowers but it's supposed to get down in the 30s Saturday night. It was covered with blooms and SO pretty when I first got it. Wish I had left it alone.

I'd rather put it in the garage just in case there are critters hiding down in the dirt and because the container is rather large. It stays above freezing in there unless the outside temp drops down to zero or below.

• goshen
    13 years ago

No, I no longer have dial up but still have a webtv. I have a computer I'm ashamed to say but i don't know how to even turn it on. Maybe i will go over to computer forums to find out something.
    We're supposed to get around 39* but no frost yet.
    Vickie

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

I just noticed I spelled genius wrong. lol Sorry

Sunday night will be the coldest. NOAA is now saying 36 for us. They lowered it from 38.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022