Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamcrews_gw

Can you ID this ivy.....Pics

pamcrews
15 years ago

Hi All. As you all know I've been on the hunt to cover a hill. In the pictures below I found some of this the other day which seems to resemble ivy but I can't seem to identify it. Any of you experts know what the name and some of the characteristic of it might be. As always....thanks. Pam

{{gwi:1120956}}

{{gwi:1120957}}

{{gwi:1120958}}

Comments (9)

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Looks like a grape vine, possibly frost grape.
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful:

• pamcrews
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks razorback for the identification. Not able to find much online about it's characteristics...does anyone have any history or experience with this vine...pros....cons....would it make a good ground cover?

Thanks.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Did you get it in the wild? It looks like my white muskadines that i got at lowes several years ago. If it is it'll take over the country.LOL It could also be muskadine which is a slow growing vine.
    vickie

• pamcrews
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually I saw it at a local resort here at the lake. It was being used as a ground cover. I figured I'd help them out and remove a few of the vines that were growing over the sidewalk....(almost as bad as seed snatching, hun?)

Pam

• oakleif
    15 years ago

It'd be weedeated first thing. You did good and saved a vine.LOL

• helenh
    15 years ago

It is very attractive. I'm thinking you could put something by where your water drains. In a normal summer that hill will be dry. The water drain makes a microclimate. Did you try Name that plant forum? Someone may be able to pinpoint the ID.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

That's pretty. The leaves are shinier than the wild grapes growing on our property. I wonder what it is.

Hope you find something that will do well on your slope.
    Which way does it face and how much sun does it get?

I can send you some iberis (candytuft) and nepeta in the spring to hang down over the wall and you could plant groundcover above that. Maybe that vine would work or vinca.

• pamcrews
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Christie. Actually the hill gets alot of sun. It's facing north but seems to get sun most of the day. Thanks for the offer on the plants however I did take your advice and orders some candytuff seeds online I'll be sowing in the spring. Today while I was out pulling up some old zinnias I was thowing the whole plant down the hill in the hopes that it will provide a weed barrier with the old stock and reseed in the spring. To my suprise alot of the wild strawberries we planted earlier in the spring have taken off. I think over time I will end up with a collection of different flowers and plants on that hill. I do appreciate everyones ideas as it has provide me alot of good info and research.

Thanks again.
    pam

• helenh
    15 years ago

Larkspur would grow on your hill. Plant them in the fall for spring bloom; they reseed.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21