Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you ID this ivy.....Pics

Posted by pamcrews 6 SW Missouri (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 17, 08 at 15:14

Hi All. As you all know I've been on the hunt to cover a hill. In the pictures below I found some of this the other day which seems to resemble ivy but I can't seem to identify it. Any of you experts know what the name and some of the characteristic of it might be. As always....thanks. Pam
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you ID this ivy.....Pics

Looks like a grape vine, possibly frost grape.
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Frost Grape

o

Thanks razorback for the identification. Not able to find much online about it's characteristics...does anyone have any history or experience with this vine...pros....cons....would it make a good ground cover?

Thanks.

o

Did you get it in the wild? It looks like my white muskadines that i got at lowes several years ago. If it is it'll take over the country.LOL It could also be muskadine which is a slow growing vine.
vickie

o

Actually I saw it at a local resort here at the lake. It was being used as a ground cover. I figured I'd help them out and remove a few of the vines that were growing over the sidewalk....(almost as bad as seed snatching, hun?)

Pam

o

It'd be weedeated first thing. You did good and saved a vine.LOL

o

It is very attractive. I'm thinking you could put something by where your water drains. In a normal summer that hill will be dry. The water drain makes a microclimate. Did you try Name that plant forum? Someone may be able to pinpoint the ID.

o

That's pretty. The leaves are shinier than the wild grapes growing on our property. I wonder what it is.

Hope you find something that will do well on your slope.
Which way does it face and how much sun does it get?

I can send you some iberis (candytuft) and nepeta in the spring to hang down over the wall and you could plant groundcover above that. Maybe that vine would work or vinca.

o

Hi Christie. Actually the hill gets alot of sun. It's facing north but seems to get sun most of the day. Thanks for the offer on the plants however I did take your advice and orders some candytuff seeds online I'll be sowing in the spring. Today while I was out pulling up some old zinnias I was thowing the whole plant down the hill in the hopes that it will provide a weed barrier with the old stock and reseed in the spring. To my suprise alot of the wild strawberries we planted earlier in the spring have taken off. I think over time I will end up with a collection of different flowers and plants on that hill. I do appreciate everyones ideas as it has provide me alot of good info and research.

Thanks again.
pam

o

Larkspur would grow on your hill. Plant them in the fall for spring bloom; they reseed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here