Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

new pruner

helenh
12 years ago

My sister sent me a new Fiskars pruner for no reason. It is her birthday maybe that is it. I like it for cleaning up perennials. It is small and very sharp with a knife blade and a small wire cutter. She ordered it on Amazon.

I have thousands of little weed seedlings coming up everywhere. I am thinking of getting some more corn gluten at the Anderson feed store.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden multi-snip

Comments (11)

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

I love presents! Lucky you! Such a nice sister you have!

I love my little flower shear pruners! But I have given up on big pruners, I have lost 3 good pairs of Felcos somewhere out in the garden in the last two years. So the other day I bought two pair of cheaper ones at that place at 5th and Maiden Lane in Joplin, can't remember the name of the store. Maybe I'll lose them by the time they wear out, lol!

My paths are full of chickweed and henbit seedlings, I think I'll use up the last of the Roundup on them. When that's gone, I'll have to find something else, I won't buy any more of that.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Mosswitch - you need a tool belt to wear out in the garden. lol Honestly I've thought about it for myself. I need something that would hold a full size shovel too because I'm always needing that when I'm out in the garden and don't have it with me.
    I bought Eliminator Weed and Grass Killer at Walmart last time instead of Roundup. I think the ingredients listed were the same and it was much cheaper. It worked. : )

Helen - I could be a Fiskars salesman. I love those things. I have a pair of the long handled loppers that have gears (3x) and it's amazing how much easier it is to cut with them. My dad borrowed them and wanted his own pair which I got him for Father's Day and my neighbor borrowed them and then bought a pair for herself and another pair for her grown son. I have a pair of Fiskars hand pruners too. Your sister is a good shopper.

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

Christie, I had a tool belt. Once. I lost it.

It's not just the Roundup brand, tho I don't like supporting Monsanto. It's the glyphosate, the ingredient in Roundup that is poisoning our water and soil. It isn't the innocuous substance that Monsanto would have us believe in their skewed statements. It has proved to be highly toxic and destructive to our environment. Besides that, glyphosate locks up the nutrients in the soil so they aren't available for plants to use, and it builds up over repeated use. Now they have GMO food crops that are resistant to the Roundup used on the fields, and guess what--now we have Roundup in our food supply where it does its damage to our bodies. I only use it sparingly on paths and driveways, where nothing grows anyway except weeds, and I'm only using it up, because you can't throw it away.

If you research it, you will be horrified. Just don't research it through Monsanto's info, they will have you believe it's totally benign and it isn't.

Sandy

• gldno1
    12 years ago

I need to check out those pruners. I have two cheap pair that are a nuisance to use. They lock shut and I have to pull them open...

Christie, with my problem wrists I think those with gears might be just the thing for me. Where did you buy them? I used my regular loppers yesterday cutting down poke and suffered during the night with both arms and wrists.

I never go out to garden without my garden apron. It is made of some kind of heavy canvas-like material and has lots of pockets. I take my gloves, pruners,knife, seed packets whatever I need. It also keeps me clean. I love it.

I have always wanted Felcos....Mosswitch, I may come search your back garden! Maybe you will find them this winter when everything dies down.

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I lose things too all the time, but not these pruners. If Honey gets them it will be another trip to the vet. They are sharp! Amazon will have your pruners or loppers to you in no time Glenda. That Amazon gets me everytime. They have all my info and it is just a little too easy. At least I didn't order a book I don't need to get up to the free shipping. I looked up Christie's loppers and ended up ordering a new rechargable battery for my friend's Worx blower. The little lightweight blower is very convenient for blowing leaves and grass clippings off the step and sidewalk but the battery is the weak link.

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

I'm not sure at all that I lost the last pair in the garden. It was in May, either just before or after my daughter died, and I went to California. I think I put them away someplace....but I don't know where...or maybe it was just before the tornado, and in all the confusion and upset I put them somewhere I never put them normally. The whole month of May is just a haze in my mind.

The pair before that....well, they went missing when I was using them and put them down. Five minutes later I couldn't find them, and still haven't three years later. And yes I went thru all the trimmings and the compost pile and the bed I was cleaning out. Total mystery to me! Must be the damn gnomes!

Anyway, Helen, if you think you could find them, come on over! Ha!

Sandy

• Violet_Z6
    12 years ago

I have always wanted Felcos....

Felcos are worth every penny - if you don't lose them of course. But if you DO find them in your yard (watch for the signature red handles) then you just break out some WD-40 and and steel wool, take them apart, clean them, put them back together and they're good as new. That's what so amazing about Felcos.

They are one garden tool I could not live without.

Here is a link that might be useful: Felco Store

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am so sorry about your daughter Sandy. If you spoke about it before, I missed it. I was also affected by the tornado but my friend's house is fixed now. I often think of those still dealing with all the problems. You had a good reason to misplace your expensive pruners. Maybe it will turn up.

I voted for the St. Mary's school teacher because she seems like a good person. Those school teachers had to deal with lots of changes. I would have been stressed out and unable to function. I guess the teachers have an opportunity to do lots of good for little children affected by the storm. I imagine there a many with fears they didn't have before.

Here is a link that might be useful: a way to help

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Sandy - I didn't know you had lost a daughter. I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how horrible that must be.

• gldno1
    12 years ago

Sandy, I am not on Gardenweb as much as I once was and I, too, missed hearing you lost your daughter! I am so sorry about that. I can understand how that time is just a blur. Please accept my very belated condolences.

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

Thank you all, I can't remember if I had mentioned it or not. It was sudden, and as we have discovered, a combination of her sleep apnea and a prescription pain killer she took. She just went to sleep. We were having a memorial for her the evening the tornado struck.

Still haven't run across my pruners, and I look every day. I just hate it when I lose something like that! The previous pair--now that was disturbing! They must be in another dimension, along with a few trowels and gloves I've similarly lost!

Sandy

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area