Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockwhisperer

Can Anyone Identify This Bush?

I went to get cuttings from a very large Bridal Wreath Spiraea at the edge of an old school building today. I spotted it this spring and it was blooming and cascading beautifully and it is huge.

While I was there I spotted another large bush, about ten feet tall and at least that much as wide. Attached is a picture of the leaves, I didn't have my camera with me when I was there.

Both shapes of leaves were on the tree and the mitten-shape is suggestive of maybe mulberry or sassafras but I have both trees on my place and these leaves are bigger than the leaves on my trees by about double. These leaves measure 5" from tip to where the leave joins the stem and about 3.5" wide for the heart-shaped leaf and 4" for the mitten-shaped one.

I thought maybe American Cranberry but I have one of those bushes too and the leaves are not close enough alike.

Does anyone have any idea what this bush might be?

Comments (7)

• helenh
    10 years ago

Looks like a mulberry to me. Leaves in the shade will be larger. Also did you ever look at the shape of a leaf scar to identify a tree leaf? You can identify by twigs, buds and leaf scars in winter. I have a little MO Conservation Dept. pamphlet on it that is very old. I don't think you have the very end of your leaf where it attaches. If you did you could compare it to the mulberry that you have in your yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: leaf scar images

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    10 years ago

Mulberry

• rockwhisperer OK zone 6A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Helen, that's a new one on me, about the leaf scars. Thanks! Here's what these look like. I wish those images were all labeled as to what kind of tree or bush they were from.

If it's a mulberry, as you and Joe think, then I'll just throw these cuttings away. The last thing I need out here is another mulberry.

Oh and I notice I reverted to calling it a tree and it was not. Large bush. Kind of appropriate, though, don't you think, to have a mulberry bush near an old school building? Isn't there an old sing-song about "Here we go 'round the mulberry bush"? Heh.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Mulberry, for sure. Often a mulberry that has been cut down will sprout multiple stems and make a bush. Young growth has huge leaves sometimes too, not much like a mature tree.

Sandy

• rockwhisperer OK zone 6A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, well I guess that takes care of that. I guess there are different kinds of mulberry trees, too. We've had to dig a couple out of the fence and that's a big job. Their roots are yellow.

Thanks everybody. I'll just be content to clone my spiraea cuttings, that's what I went there for anyhow. I thought I might have a "bonus". Sure am glad I asked!

• christie_sw_mo
    10 years ago

Red Mulberry is native and pretty common. White Mulberry is not native but still very common because it was introduced so many years ago. It has larger leaves than Red Mulberry. Either way, I don't think you want the cuttings. Sorry.
    There are named varieties of Mulberry that are seedless and have very tasty berries. I have Oscar but he doesn't seem to be very happy with our climate so far.

I have a Mulberry "Bush" in my yard that used to be a tree but was a victim of our ice storm in 07.

Interesting about the leaf scars.

• helenh
    10 years ago

I am ready for another puzzle rockwhisperer. Christy here is the little pamphlet.

Here is a link that might be useful: twigs