Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Hostas in pots

Posted by sunnyside1 z6/SW Mo. (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 9, 10 at 17:58

I did a GW search on this subject, and they all seemed to be in different growing zones. I have young hostas in 3 large pots. Every year I overwinter my reblooming potted daylillies in a sunny spot and have no trouble. I don't mulch them.

What are the chances of keeping this hosta over winter outside? What have you done to keep yours alive? Mulch them? Totally cover with shredded leaf mulch or what? What side of house to put the pots - part sun? shade? How do they get enough water to stay alive? No room for them in the GH.

I'd like to try it this year because I don't have any room for them in beds until I take some too-shady iris out of a former sunny bed--
Thanks for your help!
Sunny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Hostas in pots

i have found that hostas are pretty forgiving. I think you can kill them with love before the cold will kill them.

o

I have an August Moon that has been in a 24 inch plastic pot for several years; it does better than the ones in the ground. I have had a June in a smaller foam pot for a couple of winters. I did not mulch either. I think I read the risk is too much water standing in the pot. Mine were out in the weather so they got rain. If you put them in a garage or out building you would have to remember to water.

o

I have overwintered them just by putting the pots close to my garden shed where they would be protected, and covering them with a good thick mulch of leaves. They've all come thru fine.

o

I overwinter about 100 hosta in pots. I wait until the pot is frozen solid, then lay it on it's side on the north side of a building. Forget about them until April 1. I stack them several high. You can put some rat poison behind them if needed to control voles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here