Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to get a sassafrass plant or bush

Posted by mikey-gardener 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 10, 09 at 18:01

I love drinking the tea from the root of sassafrass but can't find any. Need help where to get one

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to get a sassafrass plant or bush

They are difficult to transplant. They do make seeds in summer but those are long-gone now. If you decide to move one, dig a deep hole next to it, you might get most of the taproot. Good luck.

o

I was so lucky last year. I saw a seedling tree growing right outside the kitchen in the hummingbird flower bed and it turned out to be a sassasfras tree! I was just delighted. I guess a kind bird dropped the seed for me.
We have them on the farm, but they are almost impossible to transplant. I wanted it for the fall color.

I think the George O. White Nursery of the Mo. Dept of Conservation sells them in the spring. Here is a link to check it out. The order form won't come online until November. They have very reasonable prices, but you can't just get one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri Native Plants

o

They grow in abundance for me volunatarily. If you're not in a hurry, I can get you some next summer.

o

read yrs ago that sassafras tea was not good for you. believe it was in mother earth news or organic gardening.
william

o

I have them growing across the road from my house. The county cuts that side along the road every year and it makes the sassafras trees send up new trees on the roots. I chopped one off the root and planted it in my back yard and was lucky enough to get it to grow. It's really hard to dig them up or to get a small one with any roots at all.

Good luck with your hunt.

o

I also read the tea is not good for you. If anyone is dozing a fence row or like jacey said along a graded road you might get some roots. If you planted the tree and watched it grow, you might not want to cut its roots. They have good fall color. A Mormon teacher used to buy the extract or syrup and put dry ice and water to make root beer. I don't know his recipe but he used to make it for Halloween at our school. The kids helped make it and thought it was fun.

o

Sassafrass has a lot of uses besides making tea from the root bark.

o

>Sassafrass has a lot of uses besides making tea from the root bark.

Yes, one is to create gumbo file powder.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here