Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enchantedplace

unknown Missouri tree

enchantedplace
18 years ago

{{gwi:1121110}}
Does anyone know this tree. It was seen on October 1, 2005 at Stephens Lake Park Columbia MO. The tree was about 30 feet tall. I don't recall the structure of the bark. The scan is about 4 X the size of the sprig. The leaves are about 2 and 3/4 inches long and about 1 and 1/4 inches wide. It does not match the wild cherry trees in our woods which have longer , alternate, finely toothed leaves. The leaves are completely smooth around margins and on surface. The fruits are drupes similar to cherries. Could it be a variety of cherry or viburnum? EP

Comments (12)

• enchantedplace
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The leaves are about double the size of the scanned image. EP

• enchantedplace
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I meant to say the leaves were half the size of the scanned image. Tree was identified for me on the tree forum. It was a beautiful tree. link below. EP

Here is a link that might be useful: nyssa sylvatica/ sour gum/ black gum

• gldno1
    18 years ago

EP, I have the book "Trees of Missouri" by Don Kurz and went through it, but dismissed the nyssa because the drawing shows a pointed tip leaf, but of course, a drawing isn't as good as a picture. Glad you found what it was.

gld

• enchantedplace
    Original Author
    18 years ago

gld.. The information states there are male and female trees which need cross pollunation for the female to bear fruit. I wonder if there could be a difference in the shape of the leaf. Hopefully , some day, we will have time to visit the botanical garden. I would enjoy seeing more of this tree. EP

• rickMO
    18 years ago

Viburnum prunifolium-Blackhaw?

• enchantedplace
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi rick. I notice you have a degree in horticulture. Also that we were admiring the tree on your birthday. The leaf sprig with the drupe fruits is very similar to the black haw in our woods. The black haw leaves are a little rounder and the fruits are still green. The fruits from the sprig do have a sour taste as described for sour gum. The tree was much taller than the black haw in our woods which is a mature shrub. Hopefully, our grand daughter will be able to observe the tree in different seasons and give us feed back. Part of the 'delight' of living in this geographical area has been learning to identify the plants. thanks for the input. EP

• christie_sw_mo
    18 years ago

I didn't realize black gum and sour gum were the same thing. The photos I found had pointed tips. Going out to look at mine.
    Sassafras has rounded tips like that, but the fruit is different I think.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• christie_sw_mo
    18 years ago

Ep - Check out Chinese Fringe tree too. I'm was trying to find a pic of the leaves with the fruit but couldn't find a good one. The tips of the leaves are slightly rounded in some pics. Maybe native fringe tree is too sometimes. Most of the photos on the web are of the trees blooming.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• enchantedplace
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Black gum is listed in 'Roadside Trees and Shrubs of Oklahoma' by Doyle McCoy and the information is a match for the tree we observed in Missoui. It is a beautiful tree and we were unfamiliar with it. Now we will be noticing more of them if there are any in our area. Thanks for your feed back. EP

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

EP , we have lots of them in our woods . They are the first to turn red in the fall . They ARE a pretty tree , but we have problems with them being too invasive if close to the yard , and they resprout when cut down .

• china1940
    18 years ago

In mid MO and around Columbia as you drive in from the East, there are trees growing in the wild and they are large trees with panicles of white flowers hanging down. This is usually about the last of may or or in June. (They are not Catalpa trees) Does anyone know what they could be. The flowers from a distince look like upside down lily of the valley, but a little larger, i have never been close up on a tree.

• beerhog
    18 years ago

China, I think the tree you are seeing is sourwood.
    Beerhog

Here is a link that might be useful: Sourwood