Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyside1_gw

Parsley

sunnyside1
14 years ago

This season I planted lots of Italian and curly parsley in my raised beds. And I have not had one caterpillar! I haven't used any BT, or any chemicals at all. I just don't understand it. One of the biggest reasons I plant it every year is because those caterpillars make the most beautiful butterflies and drat! I can't think of their name now.

Anyone else noticed no parsley caterpillars?

Sunny

Comments (11)

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes)

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of the Black Swallowtail Butterfly

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I didn't get caterpillars last year on my parsley. That was what I planted it for so I didn't plant it again. I also have rue, bronze fennel and dill and I've found them on all three of those. Rue and fennel are both perennial and have pretty foliage so that's a plus. Dill dries up in the middle of summer for me so there isn't much left for the caterpillars when they start getting more plentiful in late summer.
    I do think black swallowtails will use parsley but maybe if there's something else they prefer, they leave parsley alone. Did you have something else that they were using instead? Or maybe a neighbor did.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I had caterpillars only on the very tall bronze fennel that seeded itself all over my yard!

We didn't have nearly as many butterflies as past years. Don't know why unless it was weather related.

• helenh
    14 years ago

Caterpillars ate my fennel, but not the parsley. I have just one plant in a pot and I "found" it the other day. It is dark green and pretty. It has been taking care of itself.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I just talked with my sister who used to have a greenhouse and she thinks our parsley which is a biennial will winter over outside and come back one more year.....if it didn't bloom and set seed this year. Mine didn't. She also says you can harvest leaves almost all winter from it.

I just have the very curly one. Be interesting to see.
    I will be harvesting the fennel seed soon. She also says she always adds some to her Italian pasta sauces. The bronze doesn't make bulbs. I think I will try some of the bulb type next year. I have never eaten it before.

glenda

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I just harvested some bronze fennel fronds and seeds and some parsley to freeze for winter use.

I will have seeds galore of the fennel.

• ceresone
    14 years ago

I have my parsley in pots outside, and it's came back for over 5 years. My daughter dug her up some starts this week, and it has long big white roots, like a Daikon radish. I didnt know that...

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I had totally forgotten mine....I need to see how it is doing after our freeze.

I think I will leave my Rosemary Arp outside too. It is supposed to be hardy.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I don't have much luck with rosemary overwintering. I love its smell. My sister in CA had a hedge that was kind of bluish green; I didn't recognize it. I moved her yard ornament and hit it. It was rosemary.

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

gldno1,

Parsley should be fine most of the winter. Many people who use it for culinary reasons prefer Italian flat leaf parsley which is what I prefer over curly parsley. I find curly parsley leaves to be too thick and the leaves can be more bitter. Italian flat leaf has more flavor without the bitterness.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Violet, this was a gift from my sis from her seeds, so that is what I have. I will try to remember the flat leaf next year.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?