Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do you know your weeds

Posted by helenh z6 MO (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 18:34

This has several pictures of each weed. They are divided into broadleaf and grasses and also by where they are found.

Here is a link that might be useful: weed pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do you know your weeds

Thanks for the link, Helen. I looked some up and it seems the Weed World is well-represented in my yard. lol I put the post in my clippings file.
Sunny

o

Here is another thing for reference that I thought was useful. I picked all my green tomatoes so I have tomatoes everywhere. I don't think their taste has been as good since the cool nights and rain. If the green tomatoes rot I haven't lost anything. I like green tomato relish but have never made any.

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato fruit problems

o

Helen, I wouldn't have room in my house for all the green ones--I'd estimate3 or 4 bushels of green tomatoes. I only picked the ones I hoped would turn

o

Do you make anything out of them? I may try some fried green tomatoes but last time I tried I didn't like them - may not have done it correctly. I didn't really pick all my green tomatoes just the bigger ones. I was in a hurry and some have cracks and flaws.

o

Bacon greeeeze, Helen. Lots of that for fried green tomatoes. Or ---

2# green tomatoes, cored and cut into 1" pieces
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c distilled white vinegar
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp lemon juice

Bring toms, sugar, vinegar, coriander seeds, salt and pepper flakes to simmer in medium saucepan.. Cook about 40 minutes, until thickened. Cool to room temp., about 2 hours or refrigerate overnight. Stir in lemon juice just before serving with pork. (I'm using this on slow cooked pork shouder tomorrow). Makes about 2 cups
From Cook's Illustrated cookbook

Sorry -- I realize this is off-topic. But it was a coincidence, Helen.
Sunny

o

Sounds good. I happen to have some bacon for fried green tomatoes but no pork for your recipe at this time. I got a cheapo mandolin (finger slicer) at Wal Mart because I was too cheap to order the nice one from Amazon. I think I will have some fried potatoes for a snack because you made me hungry talking about bacon grease. I'll tackle the green tomatoes tomorrow.

This thread is not on one topic and I'm the one who did that. In my mind it is all one thing - end of season issues.

The only thing I have growing now is lettuce. The tomato vines need to be pulled up and piled somewhere and the grass and weeds that I couldn't pull because tomatoes are brittle plants need to also be dug out. There is no pressure to do anything now. Fall is supposed to look like this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here