nancyplants

Share your Fall Colors...

NancyPlants
12 years ago

Fall is such a beautiful time of year

Here is a space to share the lovely colors in your world

Before it turns COLD !

This is in my backyard...just before sundown:

Cant wait to hear from the rest of you :)

(did I mention I'm learning how to do HTML codes? haha)

Comments (7)

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Beautiful Nancy! Is it a maple?
    Down here, a lot of maples are still showing the damage from the ice storm in 07 and don't have the nice rounded outline like they used to have. The're mishapen and have huge dead limbs sticking out. Very sad that they would still look bad after so long. Some trees have recovered better than others.

We got a little frost this morning but it's supposed to be 62 and sunny this afternoon so I'll try to sneak away with my camera for awhile.

• gldno1
    12 years ago

Oh my! that is just spectacular. It is a red or sugar maple?

Nothing noteworthy here. My October Glory maple isn't going to color much this year and the leaves are partly fried.

• helenh
    12 years ago

That is a beautiful tree. I have a sugar maple that I pulled up on the bank of a pond years ago when it was about 6 inches tall. It is kind of orange but not as pretty as yours. Mine is too close to an elm. I don't think the red maples compare to sugar maples. I was in Neosho this evening and saw beautiful trees there. Joplin is a little depressing where I drive. There used to be big beautiful maples on this street.

• helenh
    12 years ago

Nancy I like your colored posts.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Some of my shrubs and trees are already starting to lose their fall color which wasn't outstanding this year, even at its peak, but my nandina is starting to turn red,

This little dogwood is a pretty dark red this year:

And of course burning bush has a nice color. This one has an awful shape because it's a monster and has been pruned back to keep it off the sidewalk. I leave it there because it shades a big west window in my garage and keeps it cooler.

Some neighbors down the road from me have some hybrid maples that are usually very pretty but not this year.

• helenh
    12 years ago

Christie you have nice fall color too. Your little dogwood is beautiful and I see nothing wrong with the burning bush.

• NancyPlants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Christie, the colors of the nandina are beautiful and I love the berries! Your burning bush is much farther along than mine. The deep red of the dogwood is wonderful.

Thats a shame when trees are damaged by storms. The neighbor behind us lost both the trees in their backyard last year and it sure makes things look stark. I'd feel very bad if I lost the maple. Its the only large tree in our backyard. A few years ago I planted a redbud, a tulip tree and a purple ash. They are all doing well but are still fairly small...maybe 10-15 ft each.

Helen, I love that you pulled the tiny tree and now get to watch it grow :) Somehow it seems more rewarding than buying from a nursery.

As for the maple in my back yard...I dont know what type it is. I've never researched the different types so I dont know how you would figure it out.

Glenda, I'm sorry your October Glory maple struggled this year. It was a difficult summer for alot of my plants also. I watered what I could but the water bill was rediculous so I left some areas wanting. Our pepper garden sits just outside the drip edge of the maple. I watered the peppers deeply and frequently so I imagine the tree benefited as well.

A different type of fall color:
    Tomatoes ripening (not a very good picture quality)

Hot peppers ripening indoors (my mother says they look like christmas ornaments)
    {{gwi:99843}}

{{gwi:99844}}

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio