Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer in yard eating stuff=Bad winter?

Posted by kadasuki z6 NW AR (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 23, 06 at 19:42

Hello All,

Does it mean a bad winter? I've never had deer come up the ravine to eat from my front yard before, not in nearly 7 years. They have eaten 4 o'clocks, and ornamental cabbages and ornamental peppers.

Just curious, as they usually stay below and in ravine.

KK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer in yard eating stuff=Bad winter?

Deer ate my sedum for the first time ever and there is a bumper crop of acorns all around us this year.
They got into a neighbors pears but have'nt touched ours. Can't explain it.
vickie

o

I'm guessing, but I think it would mean they're either running low on food already (have you had a drought?) or you just have more deer and they're expanding their territory. Either way, you may have a lot of deer damage this year.

I've been lucky so far and the deer have stayed away from my yard although I see more and more every year when I'm driving. Last week, I had to break for two does casually walking across the road as I came up over a hill. It was early in the morning before daylight. My knees were shaking it was so close. This is why old ladies drive slow.

o

Christie, I hear you about old ladies driving slow. Never know when i'll see a deer or whatever in the road. :o)
Have'nt seen many squirrels as i usually do tho.
Vickie

o

The dozen or so deer that frequent our woods snacked on almost every shrub abd perennial in my yard this year. It seems the new arrivals are developing new tastes! I had to resort to moving my potted plants on to the deck to save them. I even put a 'gate' at the head of the steps, just in case.
I certainly hope this is not a permanent situation. I like to see a deer now and then, but enough is enough!

A good friend hit a deer at dusk the other day. Totaled her vehicle, killed the deer, but thankfully didn't hurt her. So far I have had no really close encounters. ( I am another of those aging drivers.)

Marian

o

I like to see deer and most aninals but when it somes to my plants I say time to fill your freezer.
Beerhog

o

Beerhog, I'm hoping some neighbors will thin some of my deer out,and of course share some meat. Am a hypocrit. Can't shoot a deer but love the meat but than could'nt kill a cow either and boy! oh! boy! do i love beef.
vickie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here