Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hummingbirds gone?

Posted by pamcrews 6 SW Missouri (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 3, 08 at 20:29

I haven't seen any in my neck of the woods the last few days? I guess they are on their way south? Anyone south seen them passing thru?

Pam
Lake of the Ozarks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hummingbirds gone?

they have been busy here the last coupla days. we usually pull the feeders about the second week of october.

william

o

Well I guess one zone makes all the difference this time of year if you are a hummingbird. Give them my regards. LOL...

Pam

o

Pam, we thought ours were gone too, but yesterday saw one at the feeder. It was probably just passing through.

We won't be putting out any more nectar. I still have blooming plants they can stop at.

o

I haven't seen any at my feeders in several days. I am going to keep my feeders up for another week in case they are off eating somewhere else.

o

I guess it's official. I spent most of the day in the gardens and didn't see a one...(sad face...). Still have plenty of zinnas and mexican sunflowers but only saw a few butterfies on them. I guess I'll have to take those feeders down...and of course I filled them up about a week before me last sighting....(sad face again....)

o

only saw one today. they are slowing down.
william

o

My feeder was empty when you posted this so I refilled it but I haven't spotted any hummingbirds going to it yet. My salvia Black and Blue is still blooming pretty good. Wish they would stay around and enjoy it but I think they've moved on.

I'm going to leave my feeder up for awhile for migrators but I've never tried that before. A couple articles I've read recently said that fall is the best time to see unusual hummingbirds on their way through Missouri and to leave feeders out into December. I've never seen any other than Ruby-throated but there are a few other types that have been recorded here.
This article talks about what types of hummingbirds can be spotted in Missouri. I'm assuming the same would be true for Arkansas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Feedings Help Hummingbirds - News-Leader

o

They have really almost stopped here. I still have hummingbird salvias and B & B salvias. One stopped by the feeder this morning, so I think I will mix up just one cup of nectar for them.

It is through the screen and kitchen window, so not the best quality. ( A clickable picture)

o

I had a hummingbird at my feeder not too long after I posted this morning that I hadn't seen any. I spoke too soon I guess.
Since it's cool, you wouldn't have to change the nectar quite as often and make a small batch like Gld if you decide to keep feeding them.

I managed to overwinter my honeysuckle fuschia last winter then planted it in the ground again this summer and it's just now starting to flower. It's too late for the hummingbirds. : ( I still may dig it up and try again. Last summer it bloomed for a long time. Maybe it would be happier in a container instead of in the ground over summer.

o

I just made up 1/4 cup sugar to l cup water and it half filled the feeder. One almost hit my husband in the head as he was hanging it. They must have been waiting....saw three more in the afternoon.

I have a pineapple sage that they are supposed to love. It is just now blooming...I was told they bloom according to daylight length....so why on earth do they sell them here. Mine will be frosted on before it has a chance to fully open.

I need to do a little research on them.

o

Well, I am glad that I left my feeder up, because I saw one eating yesterday. I am going to leave my feeder up for awhile in case I get some passing by.

o

We have seen at least two together today. They are not totally gone yet.

o

Still haven't seen any so I guess I'll take down the feeders this weekend. (sad face).

Pam

o

getting slow here too. next weekend the feeder will be pulled.
william

o

• Posted by kaye 7a AR (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 8, 08 at 19:48

I've been pulling feeders over the past several weeks. Down to just one and I haven't seen any takers in 2 days. We had a huge amount of HBs this year..I think they must have recovered from the losses in hurricane Rita and Katrina.

We did have a late arrival about 4 years ago..came in November and stayed with us until January. He'd be at the kitchen window in the mornings, waiting until we hung the feeder back outside (too cold to leave it out overnight). The strangest thing I saw was a hummingbird dodging snowflakes! The Hummingbird Research Group came and banded the little fellow in December that year. I wish I knew if he returned the next year.

o

Hi Kaye, What a great story. I learned not to underestimate our strong winged friends. When I was living in Florida I had taken everything off of our porches in preparation of Hurricane Ivan. I did however leave one feeder up. The storm came in about 10:00pm at a category 3. Eight hours later at the first glimer of light we were in category 1 and I saw my empty feeder swinging in the wind and a hummingbird trying to get to it. I just thought that was so amazing that it had survived a major hurricane. I have to ask....where do they go to hang on?

Pam

o

We saw one or two yesterday. These cool nights may send them packing.

o

• Posted by kaye 7a AR (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 9, 08 at 11:38

Pam, I've often wondered how they make it thru some of the storms that hit here. We have lots of cedars and the birds use them for cover. Problem with the two hurricanes was the tinies were migrating when they hit and the next year we saw a huge decline in the numbers that came back.

o

Our neighborhood hummers left around Sept 30 (St. Charles County). But we do get the migrating hummer that will stop by to feed, so we keep our feeders up until the end of October. I thought I read in the Missouri Conservationist to keep them up until mid November? But darn if I can find that article at this moment. I have also read that the migrating hummers remember food source locations and will look for the feeder next spring when migrating north. I have attached a link to a Missouri Conservation article that appeared in the May 2008 edition that I found really interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri Dept Conservation Hummingbird

o

We only saw one yesterday and none so far today.

I will check out the article later. Thanks for posting the link.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here