Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryo_gw

looking for unusual Helleborus

maryo
10 years ago

Has anyone seen or knows where to get a Helleborus with white speckled leaves? Helleborus Argutifolius Janet Starnes? Or Pacific Frost? Or how about Helleborus Foelidus, Wester flisk? The stinking helleborus? I see pictures but not where to buy them.

Comments (12)

• helenh
    10 years ago

This guy sells some wholesale. I only have the most common one that I got at the Springfield Master Gardeners' sale. I am looking for a pretty upright flowering one since you brought this up. It seems like the prices and shipping are outrageous.

Here is a link that might be useful: helleborus vendor

This post was edited by helenh on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 15:58

• maryo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. It looks like he sells 100 at a time. I'll see what I can do.

• helenh
    10 years ago

I find that web site hard to navigate but didn't you mention this kind?

Here is a link that might be useful: stinking hellebore

• maryo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's exactly what I want. Sometimes I find an old fashion telephone is the best way to go! Thanks

• helenh
    10 years ago

Wester Flisk is on another page. It sounds like spring is the time to plant them because he said something about putting them on a window sill if you order them now. A plant that wants drainage would not work on a windowsill here because I overwinter things in plastic tubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wester Flisk scroll down to see it

• christie_sw_mo
    10 years ago

I don't have Wester Flisk but have the species h. foetidus and it has been a tough easy-to-grow plant for me. It grows faster than my h. orientalis but also seeds around more. I wouldn't call it invasive but your will mostly likely have plenty to share. It seems to be even more drought tolerant than orientalis and has been one of the few things to survive under my hedge trees in dry shade with lots of root competition. I do water there when it gets very dry. If you're interested in just the species, I could send you a few seedlings in the spring. The species doesn't have the reddish tint in the leaves like the one in Helen's link. Very pretty.

I have seen some heleborus with silvery leaves at Lowe's but I don't remember what the name was. You may want to check there and ask the garden center manager because sometimes they will special order plants. One of the Lowe's here has offered to do that.

• maryo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would LOVE some seedlings! Keep me in mind. Also I did not know Lowe's may special order. I even know a manager and didn't even think of that. And while I'm at it, I have to say I haven't been on this forum for quite awhile. But I can say that Christie has been a "constant" with always good advice over the years. It's people like you and helenh that make these forums so helpful to dippy plant nerds like me. Thanks

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

What a great site for hellebores and other rare plants. Barry Glick.....a famous name in plants and a treasure to know where to get his plants. Put that catalog in my favorites!

Sandy

• christie_sw_mo
    10 years ago

Aww sweet thing to say Maryo but I'm certain I'm not one of the most knowledgeable ones that posts here. With everyone combined there's a lot of wisdom. : ) Everybody has experience with different plants and we appreciate your experience too. It's helpful to hear what does well in the Ozarks. I'll try to remember to contact you in the spring about the seedlings but If don't, bring this post back up or email me or something. Let us know if the Lowe's manager will let you special order anything. I don't know how much freedom they have with that or what kind of selections they have. Won't hurt to try.

• helenh
    10 years ago

I saw some new hellebores at Lowes this weekend. The plants were about quart size Pink Frost I think about $10. It is funny to me that they get them in this late because Lowes is one place that marks down drastically before Christmas trees come in November. I am already checking for sale plants. Last week I got 4 six packs of ratty pansies for 25 cents about one penny a plant. It was supposed to be 25 cents each or a dollar. I would have corrected him but I didn't look at the ticket. Today I got a Black Diamond crepe myrtle for $6 or $7 - half price and pinks for 25 cents a six pack. All the pansies and violas look ratty to me this year. I'll have to drive to Ozark nursery to see theirs. I always have better luck with violas than pansies. I don't even really like pinks but after frost when I pull up stuff I might put them in the vegetable garden. I got pinks last fall very cheap 10 cents a six pack and they were pretty in spring.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Ozark Nursery does have pansies, Helen! This was last week but I am sure the selection is still pretty good.

Guess I'm going to have to check out what Lowe's has, I haven't been there for a while.

Sandy

• helenh
    10 years ago

Joplin Lowes had the full priced hellebores and the pinks. I got the cheap yellow pansies at Lowes in Neosho and the Black Diamond crepe myrtle in Carthage where all the old folks including me and my friend eat at the Sizzling Sirloin buffet. He likes to eat at the buffet and then I drag him to Goodys and Lowes.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors