Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

Nutty woman causes trouble at Lowe's

helenh
13 years ago

There were at least five healthy yellow knock out roses maybe two or three gallon size in the dumpster. They had gotten credit from the vendor so they were not considering them their property anymore. I took it to a little garden dept boss who could have been my grandchild, then others to no avail. When I went back in the garden dept. they had already removed them from the dumpster so the weird lady would not try other methods to save them. I don't need the roses, but it kills me that they have to throw them away. I don't blame anyone because I am sure it is their policy. If they would mark them down really cheap, someone would buy them. I picked up some small asters and a climbing hydrangea. They were still marked at $5 and 1.50 and I asked the woman if that was their sale price. She lowered them to .50 and $1 for the hydrangea. They are ratty looking and I don't see anyone paying $5. If they don't get the rest of them marked down to their current worth, they will be in the dumpster also. I bought 10 bags of pine bark mulch and two big peat moss packages. I would have paid something for the roses or agreed to buy more other stuff to get them, but it was not possible. I am the same nut who goes to the service desk at Wal-mart and tells them the plants need water.

Comments (12)

• peggiewho
    13 years ago

I guess youâÂÂre the kind of nut that doesn't like waste or lose of plant life. We all should be a little more nutty. I am a nut at Costco and return fruit. If it goes from green to rotten they get it back. If you don't say anything things won't change. Better to be a nut then a mouse. As long as you don't hit anyone with your purse you're doing ok.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

That is just ridiculous! Why didn't they just give them to you. I am very disappointed in our Lowe's on the north side. I don't think I have ever found a bargain there once.

I think I would call the General Manager and ask what their policy was on tossed stuff.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

What a waste. I do think Lowe's is better to mark stuff down than Home Depot though.
    I bought some gallon pots of salvia 'Black and Blue' at Lowe's in Republic about a month ago that were marked 10 cents apiece.
    Which Lowe's did you go to? I wonder if an employee took them home.

• Nashonii
    13 years ago

Why didn't you just put them in your car?
    Isn't anything in the dumpster fair game? I thought so. I have gotten boxes, (for moving), and other things from dupsters. Movie Video, (or one of them) used to throw away their DVD boxes...hundreds of them, when they had removed the DVD's they had received and put them into 'their own' cases. That one 'find' had me good for DVD cases for years!
    Guess that is a lesson in don't ask, don't get told no.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It was Neosho Lowes and I think they were being super honest. The vendor had reimbursed them for what didn't sell. The cutie boy who loaded my mulch at Joplin Lowes let me get a sedum branch and broken board out of their dumpster. Yes I have a history. What I don't understand is that the ones in the dumpster were better plants that lots that were still for sale. Where they go wrong is trying to sell them for too high a price. Most people are cleaning up not planting this time of year. Those asters I got will have to be cared for a year and watered in summer before they will bloom again. That makes them worth about .25 or .50 cents. A rose at half price might still be too high this time of year. But I would buy it if it were cheap enough. Plus and they should know this I would be back every weekend to hunt for more bargains. While I am in the store, I will probably buy something. And if I want something for building, I will go to Lowe's not Home Depot where nothing is ever on sale. Joplin is better at marking things down. I think Lowes gives the managers more power to make decisions than Home Depot. At Joplin they put things on pallets when the Christmas trees start coming and if you listen contractors are buying them for next to nothing. If a snoopy shopper is listening they will sell them to an ordinary shopper. When I was in my scrounge daffodil bulbs on sale mode, Home Depot would let them rot before selling them cheap.

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

Unfortunately when the plants go in the dumpster they are still the property of the store until the dumpsters are emptied. You can actually be arrested in some stores (Sears, Home Depot, & others) if you take things out of the dumpster as it can be construed as theft. It's a shame that so many usable things are thrown away, but that is the way retail works. A few years ago I discovered that clothing thrown away at Montgomery Ward was splashed with paint so it would be unusable. They don't want employees taking things from the dumpsters and selling them at flea markets, etc, so it is against store policies everywhere.

Lowe's sales differ widely. We were in three different stores over the week, Cassville they were cleaning up the garden center, asters were $.80, other plants were practically being given away. Rogers, Ark asters were 1/2 price, $1.50 and still in beautiful bloom. All other plants were 50% off. Joplin, same thing but the asters were done blooming. And yes, I loaded up on asters! Cassville only had red ones, Rogers had 2 varieties of blue, Joplin had three but different ones!

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Neosho Lowes is back in favor. I got a bunch of plants for $1 each. Russian sage, purple heuchera, tiarella, and a knock out rose for $2. The heucheras were still pretty. I don't need any of it but it is fun and my total bill was worth it just for the mental health part of it. I am already not liking the dreary weather and cold short days.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

That's just unfair Helen. lol The Lawn and Garden section at our Lowe's had a big Santa Claus in it and artificial Christmas trees when I was there a few days ago. I didn't venture outside because I thought they just had the real Christmas trees outside. Maybe I should've checked to be sure.

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

I picked up some ferns and asters for $1 each at the Lowe's in Joplin the other day. They still had some perennials left and a lot of mums, which were NOT on sale, but the potted "christmas" trees were moving in. (Check out the pretty "lemon cypress" in the pots--I'm still thinking about this one, growing it in a pot. Pretty! It's actually a Monterrey cyprus that gets huge outdoors, if it would live that long here.)

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

These are a few of my sale plants. I get high buying them. I told myself I need to cut back because I don't take care of what I have. I am always behind in weeding and watering and my house should be cleaner.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Do you know the names of your heucheras? I've had better luck with some than others but they're absolutely one of my favorites for shade. I bought one on clearance this summer, I think 'Regina' or something like that, not sure. I've only had one Tiarella and it croaked in our summer heat.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I bought some before and lost the light pumpkin colored one. The dark one lived. One of tags on these said Ebony. I have never tried to grow Tiarella before, I may not be able to keep it watered in summer. I like heuchera too; it is pretty tough. These plants have survived living at Lowes and still look good compared to other plants that have been exposed to the cold, warm, wet, dry swings we have had.