Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamcrews_gw

First Year Gardens Pics- Spring & Summer

pamcrews
15 years ago

Finally have been in the (not so new... now) house a year. Here's a few before and after pics of my first year gardens. What a difference a few months can make....really excited about what I can do next season...besides grow more rocks! Sure gonna miss all that greenery this winter.

Pam

Backyard early spring and late summer

{{gwi:1121303}}

{{gwi:1121304}}

Front Porch early spring and late summer

{{gwi:1121305}}

{{gwi:1121306}}

Comments (6)

• helenh
    15 years ago

I could live there; it looks like a nice place. You have good drainage too.

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Pam your gardens turned out very nice. I would love to have all that land to plant flowers. I live in town in a subdivision. Our lots are small, and I have alot of large old growth trees. I especially like the garden in front of the porch.
    Ann

• gldno1
    15 years ago

It's a beautiful place, Pam. The garden looks wonderful for just a year old.

It looks like you are surrounded with woods....do you get a lot of night-time visitors possums, raccoons, etc.?

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Who would want to stay inside with scenery like that. Love the dogwoods. Is that what the white flowering trees are? We had some wooded property when I was a kid and I never got tired of "exploring".
    What did you decide to plant on your slope?

• pamcrews
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi All. To answer some of the questions...YES...we get some critters from time to time...mainly deer but don't think they all know we're here yet. The deer found my three Rose of Sharons late in the season and they have been back a couple of times now....ditto on some burning bushes.....but hey haven't found my hostas....yet...but I'm optimistic they will next year.

Yes, Christie...you are right... those are dogwoods. I couldn't believe how many we have on the property. Two years ago when we purchased the land we were living in Springfield and was not around to see them blooming. We asked our realtor if we had any since he lived in the area and he told us there were lots. Last year not much of show because of the drought...but this year...wham! The colors so far this fall have been something and all the berries too. It's been a good year for rain this year and the woods show it.

Ann- I feel for you with all the shade. Having a bunch of shade too I'm still struggling with shade and sun loving plants. Trying to find the rights areas. It's amazing but as the season progress I find areas that were once strong sun are now all shade. It's been a learning process.

Helen- I had to laugh at your comment about good drainage. It wasn't until my hubby installed a drain that emptied out on the backside of that large mound in the back. We would get large standing puddles. The drain has been great and NOW allows for good drainage. I guess with most things you have to make it work for you.

Would love to see some gardens transformations pictures from you all. I just love to see what everyone else is doing in the world of gardening.

Best Regards,
    Pam

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

very nice and work does pay off!

william