Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaye_gw

Bigfoot..fact or fiction???

kaye
18 years ago

Okay, I've always thought that this "creature" was a figment of imagination..until a close neighbor reports seeing this thing at the edge of her property, readily seen before dusk with a friend there to verify. What really bothers me is that property backs up to mine. I've done some looking at the research and it appears likely(?) that the "creature" exists and there have been numerous sightings in Arkansas over the years. A llama and a hog were taken from pens..the llama carcass was found, the hog, no. The tales report passive behavior with humans, pretty much, but this whole thing has me spooked! Too close for comfort..what you guys think?? Anyone actually seen one or know anyone who has? Beerhog, you can stop laughing now. And, Big Red, you are in the middle of a hotbed of activity over the years.

Comments (25)

• wayne_mo
    18 years ago

Live species become carcasses when they die.

The fact that no one has ever come across a dead bigfoot makes me think it unlikely that they exist.

• kaye
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wayne, that first crossed my mind, too. Makes me feel a little more secure that no one has ever come up with an answer. How about "road kill". How did they/it avoid that if they exist. Hey, you made me feel better about living here already. I've been reading a lot in the last few days..but the neighbor who reported this is very creditable.

• bigred
    18 years ago

Well, there's been rumors and reported sightenings of what is called the Fouke Monster(pardon me Fouke if I missplelled ya)since I can remember but now as a tottering old woman and avid CSI fan, I'd have to say is,if there ain't no forensic evidences..ie:dead body,bones,hair samples,stool samples,evidence of bedding sights,etc...it ain't so like da ufos.Oo,I'm a poet and didn't know it...whoops,I did it again...LOL

Any big preditor(once again,whoops on spelling)could have taken the llama and hog.

• christie_sw_mo
    18 years ago

Maybe Bigfoot is an alien. Wouldn't that explain why there are no bodies? lol
    Just having fun Kaye. Hope you don't think I'm laughing at you. Did your neighbor say whether it looked like typical pictures of bigfoot? It is getting close to halloween so maybe someone was trying out their costume a little early. That seems most likely. It doesn't sound like your neighbor would lie about it.

• kaye
    Original Author
    18 years ago

In this area where the hunters reign, someone would have to be a total fool to put on some sort of hoax. No place around us that is not armed to the teeth. The neighbor had never heard of "Bigfoot" until she started making some inquiries as to what she saw..or thought she did. Yes, her description was very typical of other reports as to appearance. There have been other reports in the local newspaper recently, that's what got me to wondering.

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

Kaye, what was the 'description'. In recent years both bears and cougars have been seen in the hills around us here. EP

• kaye
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We do have bears and cougars, too, but the lady said this creature was standing upright on two legs and was 7-8' tall with longish red hair. It stood on the edge of her clearing for about a minute and she and her visitor both saw it well as it was still daylight. It didn't run off, but walked into the woods with long strides on two legs. Now, I'm as sceptical as the rest of you, but after reading a lot on the internet, including our hometown paper and visiting with the writer of several articles about local sightings, the Ouachita Mtns have been a "hotbed" of reported sightings in recent years. But, on the otherhand, there are many people who hae hunted and lived in this area all their lives and swear there is no such. I'm hoping they are right!

There is an interesting excerpt from Teddy Rosevelt's book
    The Wilderness Hunter (1906, pp. 255-261). The incident took place in the Bitterroot Mountains, between Idaho and Montana.

And, hey, it's almost Halloween!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bauman Incident

• happycthulhu
    18 years ago

Kaye,
    If you hear any weird hoots and hollers in the woods at night, you might have a bigfoot.
    Also, go and rent the "Legend of Boggy Creek." Make sure you watch it by yourself, in the dark.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bigfoot Sounds.

• kaye
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Saw the movie years ago and don't want to hear the sounds right now..but thanks. Okay, guys..had a second sighting last night. Lady hadn't even heard about the other one and drove into her diveway just after dark and she said there was a 7-8 foot man she didn't get a good look at caught in her headlights for a second. Moved off and disappeared. This is in the same area and about 1/2 mile from us..spooky! Okay, I'm eccentric and I grow roses..but this is too much!

• ceresone
    18 years ago

Wonder why we dont believe anything we can't touch and feel?anyway--i guess i'm naive, i'll just go ahead and belive there's things on this earth, and in nature, that cant be confirmined. makes life more interesting. and-if they are there, and wanted to hurt us, they already would have.no, i'm not saying i believe in bigfoot- i'm just saying i dont not believe.

• numama
    18 years ago

Kaye,
    I'd say since they are so hard to spot and walk or run off whenever someone spots one that you have nothing to worry about as far as them attacking you or anything. I too saw the film LEGEND OF BOGGY CREEK as a child and it sure spooked me. Just don't be walking through the woods alone!
    Nancy U.
    P.S. Don't know if I believe or not! I guess seeing is believing!

• gldno1
    18 years ago

I just saw a special on some cable station about this legend. One in the NW was admittedly a hoax, but they interviewed a woman from somewhere in the hills (of course) of maybe Tennessee and she says she has known and interacted with them since she was a child. They actually come to her trailor and knock. No one else has seen them....she lives in a very remote area. I am very skeptical, but never say it isn't possible. What is curious is how they are in different regions all over the world. It is like each culture has its own legend. Who knows.............

I don't go out in the dark, period! I am chicken and always have been. Actually the stories of courgars worry me more.

gld

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

Kaye, put out some bait and set up a video camera. Wonder what a good bait would be. Maybe it stops by to sniff your roses! EP

• kaye
    Original Author
    18 years ago

EP, good thought! Maybe Bigfoot likes roses..actually, I hope not. If there is this thing, I want it as far from me as possible.

Going out after dark has never bothered me..still doesn't as what I've read says that the nighttime creatures stay away and are not a threat. Exception is stepping on a snake!

As to the "road kill" to Wayne, after I thought about it, I wondered how many people had seen mountain lions and bear as road kill. Just a thought..

I'm not convinced they are out there but there seems to be a lot of scientist looking for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: BFRO

• wayne_mo
    18 years ago

There have been several roadkill mountain lions found in Missouri and it was in fact their discovery as roadkill and an examination of their stomach contents that confirmed that the population in Missouri includes wild mountain lions and not just escaped pets. There have even been roadkill mountain lions found in odd places where no one had seen a live one (e.g. Interstate 35 just north of Kansas City).

Sooner or later if Bigfoot really exists there will be some forensic evidence to prove it.

I wouldn't conclude from that website that there are actual scientists looking for bigfoot. They don't give any names or institutional affiliations of any scientists. Usually science is very open about the degrees and institutional affiliations of its scientists. When I see a website that is not open about who its members are and what their credentials are, I am skeptical.

Of course it probably goes without saying that I'm skeptical in general orientation. They don't call Missouri the "show me state" for nothin' ;-)

• wayne_mo
    18 years ago

Kaye,

I stand corrected. While there are not many scientists looking for bigfoot, I did find 13 names on the website's conference page and one of those 13 names has bona fide scientist credentials. I've linked his information below.

I took this info from Idaho State's Biology Department website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scientist studying bigfoot

• kaye
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Wayne. I took most of my information from the site where they list the meets and those attending. I saw quite a few in the Oklahoma meeting scheduled for December, I think.

• Millie_36
    18 years ago

Just got back from a trip and found this. My old grandpa used to say don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. ;O)

There are some regular "people" running about looking about as wild as was described above. One of my neighbors found one in his livingroom one night...he was high on something and thought it was his house. He was "put out" the first time, but returned...Sheriff was called the second time. It was winter, but this fellow was barefoot and wild looking.

I think it's wise to be more concerned about the 2 legged kind than the four. Animals are much more predictable.

• oakleif
    17 years ago

I have a completely open mind abt big foot. There's been too many animals discovered that science says is not so untill many years later when it is found.
    We've been told around here there are positively no panthers, but i've heard them. and have heard them in a zoo.
    This is also a fun Halloween topic from last year.
    vickie

• bigfootbait
    16 years ago

To address many of the questions and thoughts posed in this thread, may I suggest that you review each of the several bigfoot sighting report links on these pages: Bigfoot Behavior, Bigfoot Shootings, Bigfoot Bones and Bodies, on the website I have included here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bigfoot Behavior, Shootings, Bodies, and Bones

• dizzy45
    16 years ago

Hey I was born in the Mountains and my Dad used to tell me stories when I was a kid about bigfoot they have always been around but now that the population are invading there hunting grounds we see them more and more. There are some things that can't be explained. But when you get Visual documentation from someone you know thats enough for me.
    Plus there are hair samples that have been documented I do believe. There are footsteps in high areas of the mountains that have been documented as well as not human.

I believe
    Carol

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

I've always been curious about tales as such but, hey, I'm from Missouri. Show me.

• seedsonshirt
    16 years ago

I used to be quite fascinated with bigfoot years ago. Haven't thought about it in a long time, but I remember a couple of thoughts I used to have on the subject...

One is that the only physical evidence I've come across that seems credible are the hair samples that were sent to a gene lab, and identified only as an "unknown primate."

Two, there were at times in the distant past multiple species of humans, Neanderthals (homo sapiens neanderthalis)being the most recent one most of us are familiar with. I always thought that if bigfoot is real, it must be an unknown human species. Perhaps they survived by steering clear of homo sapiens sapiens? This might explain why no bodies are found - they might be wary enough of us to remove their dead from where they fell, and maybe they bury them?

I suppose I'd have to see one to believe it these days...

• blueman_2009
    14 years ago

I know they exist, I have seen them. I have experienced their rock throwing numerous times also their woodknocks. I have 100 or so Audio recording of the Sasquatch hollering and some, where he is trying to talk to me. I didn't have these experiences sitting on the couch. I go out late at night or early, early morning hours while other researcher are asleep in bed. The people that don't believe just don't go out and give it a benefit of doubt. Yes it's a thrill to say the least.

• mistercross
    14 years ago

It's a little harder to believe in them since they are everywhere. Apparently there have been sightings in every state except Hawaii, and most Canadian provinces.

The show, Monsterquest, on the History Channel has only covered a few of those areas: Colorado, New York, Gulf coast, the Ohio Grassman, Canada, and a couple more. They always go out, put out food and scent lures, set up camera traps, look for footprints, interview eyewitnesses, and send a few hair or scat samples to a lab. They turn up very little.

They sure hide really well. The best film is from the 1960s. How many people from back then would think we would still be looking for solid evidence forty years later?