Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunny6_gw

Which Flowers performed bad for you this year?

bunny6
15 years ago

I was wondering which flowers performed bad for you this year? I had several:

My Red Double Knockouts grew tall but gangly, and the blooms was very small. Then it got blackspot a couple of weeks ago. My regular Knockouts performed very well, and had no blackspot or any other problems.

I lost many wave petunias to wilt disease. One day fine, the next day wilted and dead. First year this had happened.

My Pincushion plants got mildew. Although I sprayed, many still kicked the bucket.

Comments (16)

• helenh
    15 years ago

My petunias looked good for quite a while, but they are not an all summer plant for me. There is one still blooming; it is supertunia vista bubblegum pink. It has bloomed all summer and is still blooming. The other petunias got leggy. Gaillardia oranges and lemons was very pretty in June and had many many blooms; then it got spots on its leaves and I put up with it because it is perennial. I can't say it wasn't a success, but if it were an annual, I could have pulled it up. The profusion orange zinnia had similar colors and stayed pretty longer.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Well as most know I had a soil problem. Leaching from the raised beds and most of the other beds as well (all an steep slope). After that was fixed Most of my plants that survived that did well or fair.
    Some that didn't make it or did poor are Poppies, Geraniums roxanne, cosmos did so so. Foxglove and Shasta daisy did ok but not great. Lily of the valley did very poor and the dafs never came up or the tulips.
    I keep a bed w/impatiens they are just now gitting to be about 12" and blooming well.
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I am trying to remember, but I actually think everything did very well this year.

Of course, I have been gardening a long time in the Ozarks and pretty much know what won't work.

Re: petunias I only grow the old fashioned vining, fragrant type and most still look pretty good. If one or two don't, I pull it out. They will self seed during the season and I have lots of young plants that have been blooming only a few weeks and they will look good until frost.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I forgot the roses. They mostly all did very poorly and the blackspot was so bad, I cut them almost to the ground very early on.....the leaves on some are still very pale yellow. I will get some cheltated iron and try that.

I sprayed for the first time this year with Neem oil....won't be doing that again. It did no good and I have wondered if that isn't what caused the yellowing of the leaves?

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

I will chime in, My sweet peas did no good this year nor
    last year, I have yet to see a bloom. I have never had any
    and always wanted some. So I really don't know what is the
    reason. Always kept them watered. My late zinnias are doing
    great now , butterflies like them, I have pulled the
    earlier ones.My WS cosmos are doing fantastic, first for me. Happy gardening, caroline

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Caroline, I don't know anyone in our area that grows sweet peas. They like really cool weather and I think we turn off warm to quickly for them to do well. I did raise a few one year, but wasn't very impressed with them. The scent almost was too much.

Maybe if you started them inside in peat pots early, it might work.

• bunny6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gldno-My roses got yellow leaves this summer and I gave them chelated iron and it seemed to help. I have not tried Neem oil.

I forgot additional flowers that did not perform well: One, Stella De Oro daylilies. I think they need to be divided. They bloomed one time. Two, Gerber Daisies did not bloom well, because I had them in too much shade.

On the positive note. My potato vines, cup and saucer vine, lilies, vinca, elephant ears, marigolds, rose moss and some roses did very well.

• pamcrews
    15 years ago

Being the first growing season for me in this zone I really don't have much to base it on but do compare to growing in the panhandle of Florida. Never had problems with Moonflowers but I had grown them in FL on the north side of the house. Here I tried growing them on the south side and they took off. The vines looked great on my front porch posts, but they didn't seem to bloom as profusely as they have for me before. Then the aphids attacked them. I ended up pulling them all up last weekend and saving only a few seeds. I also tried some in a container on the north side of the house and they didn't do well at all. Small leaves, little vines and only one flower. I don't think they like potting soil...might be too rich for them. Don't think I'll give them a try next year....I'll move on to other flowers.

Pam
    Lake of the Ozarks

• helenh
    15 years ago

Caroline, sweet peas like cool weather. We go from cold winter to hot weather too quick here. Maybe some here know how to time them, but I think our climate is the problem. I also planted late lettuce, zinnias and cosmos (pink next to orange mexican sunflower). I think the rain this year gave me hope to plant late. Our usual summer drought makes it hard just to keep my most valued plants alive.

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

Well thanks for the info on the sweet peas, I think I will
    just give them up :) My Becky dasies didn't do any thing but die, they were recommended to me,
    but I lost3 new plants.Put them in full sun and watered, no fertilicer. About the moonflowers, my sister had
    lots on them North side of her house, they did well. My
    purple ones have about 10 blooms on now for the second time. Morning sun, evening shade. Happy gardening,caroline

• dak001
    15 years ago

Flowers that did well, Starting in spring my Tulips and Daffs where great. Followed by Shasta daisy and iris were wonderful but gone to soon. My daylilies started out good but soon were gone, I think it got to hot to fast after our wonderful cool wet spring. The Butterfly bushes really showed off this yr, had to be the wet spring. We made a trip to Ohio in early June and I brought 35 plants back with me from my girl friend. What a green thumb she has.
    MyHibuscus and Rose of sharon also did well. we are moving the Clematis this fall hoping for showier flowers in -09.
    I still have Zinnas, roses, dahlias, mums cannas blooming nicely. I am looking forward to spring of 09...I know one shouldn't wish time away. Time to plan my veggie garden..

• teresa_b
    15 years ago

I have had success with sweet peas; however, I planted in early March before the last average frost date which is normally April 15. I also fertilized a lot. The bloom period is not long though. (SIGH).

Teresa

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Teresa - Did you start your sweet peas in the ground or in pots? I'm also wondering if they got any shade. My only try with them was unsuccessful.

There must be some kind of sweet peas that do well here. Isn't there a type that grows wild?

I confess - I can't grow petunias. I tried wave petunias again this year and they didn't do well at all - only a few flowers.

• teresa_b
    15 years ago

Christie

I started my sweet peas outside. They can withstand pretty cold temps. They also are heavy feeders. It has been awhile but I believe I may have nicked them, soaked them and used innoculant on them before planting.

Teresa

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Thanks Teresa - I may get brave and give them another try.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Take a look at the winter sow forum. They start them out side in jan.
    Bonnie