Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockguy_gw

Networking in Cabool area

rockguy
14 years ago

Anyone in the Cabool, MO area that's into seed-swapping, off-grid living, organic gardening or just the simple lifestyle, please give me a holler. I am new to the area, moving from TN. I'm an old guy, 63 and love to talk gardening and etc. I guess this means I better post my "have" list of seeds...

Comments (16)

• rockguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I'm having some trouble but here's the list of seeds I have and want to trade:
    Pepper, Cayenne
    Pepper, "Peter"
    Pepper, Chiltepin
    Okra, spineless
    Corn, Mandan Bride
    Impatiens balsamina (used to treat poison Ivy)
    Beans, Kentucky wonder-pole

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Glad to see some newcomers posting. Please keep visitng and let us know how things are going. I love the simpler lifestyle, not sure about off-the-grid though....love my electricity.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Welcome Rockguy! I remember you posted when you were getting ready to move. Glad to hear you've gotten settled in.
    If you click on "Member Pages" in the green bar at the bottom of the page, then "Edit your exchange list" you can list the seeds/plants you have and want.
    What kinds of seeds are you looking for mostly?

• rockguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Christie. I keep enough seeds for my regular crops, so what I'm looking to trade for would be something more unusual. It can be veggie or flower, as long as the flowers are not the high-maintenance kind. I'm too busy in summer to dead-head etc, just to have blooms.

• pamcrews
    14 years ago

Welcome Rockguy...I too transplanted here to the Ozarks a few years ago from Florida....not too sure about that "off grid" living you are talking about. I don't know what I'd so without a/c in the summertime. I lived in Springfield for about six months and then made my way up to the lake of the ozarks. Love being around the water. I have a bunch of flower seeds that I harvested this year and I'd be happy to send you. Hollyhocks, cosmos, marigolds, zinnias, mostly stuff that will attract bees, butterflies and humingbirds. Send me your address and I'll get a bunch in the mail to you. If you can use them great, if not trade them off. Welcome to the Fourm
    Pam

• rockguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the welcome and the offer Pam :)
    I like hollyhocks. I had the seeds of the black ones a few years ago but lost them in the shuffle. Do you have them?

• pamcrews
    14 years ago

Hey Rockguy. Yes I do have black hollyhocks sseds and would be more than happy to send you some. Send me your address and I'll get them in the mail to you.

Pam

• helenh
    14 years ago

What do you mean old guy at 63? I also love my electricity, but I have a mama bear wood stove just in case. I love to get near a wood stove when it is cold. I try to be fairly organic but I resort to the bad stuff when other measures don't work. I do not believe in spraying for everything. A few holes or bugs don't bother me. When I buy corn some worms on the end is reassuring that it wasn't sprayed. I haul in grass clippings, and leaves that others throw away. Are you a city guy who moved to the country or have you always lived this way?

• rockguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

helenh~ I'm a country guy that's moved to Missouri from TN. I tried living in town, it's just not for me.

• ceresone
    14 years ago

RockGuy, did you get your lawn work done?
    Also, if you want to start your own Sweet Potatoe cuttings, I have a bunch of small ones I'm planning on trying to winter over to start mine--I'll share if you want.
    I ordered my cuttings from Steele Plant Farm this spring, have 4 types--but the roots? all I know is one type in light skinned, but they're all good, regardless of type!

• rockguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ceresone~ I'm not sure what you mean about "Lawn work". Must have been something I said, but I don't have any lawn, as such. I have very little grass and I'd like to be rid of that.
    Sweet potato cuttings- tempting but I doubt I could keep them alive thru winter in a wood-heated cabin. Maybe closer to spring I will swap you something for a few. Thanks for the offer tho, I do like a good sweet potato! :)

• ceresone
    14 years ago

RockGuy, sure hope they survive with wood heat--we have a fireplace insert. Central heat and air--but due to the price of gas, we just use the wood insert.
    The sweet potatoes are just that--the sweet potatoes, starts will have to be started from them, I figure about Feb. or March--anyone know how long it takes to form cuttings? My first year for this.
    I have half a little wagon full of small Sw. Pot.
    Maybe it was odd jobs you wanted done? LOL--my old age brain's on overload!

• rockguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In the past I have started sweet potatoes inside (in water)and it seems like a month before I'd see much growth. Spider mites were a problem in the dry indoors too. I sprayed with clear water to help keep down the numbers. Once you set them outside, SM's don't seem to bother them.

• pamcrews
    14 years ago

Hey Rockguy...did you get the seeds?
    Pam

• rockguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pam~ Probably. I haven't been to the PO, will go about Saturday. Thank you!

• rockguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Got the seeds today! Thank you.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia