Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What wildflower is this planted in St. Louis County

Posted by toronado3800 Z6 St. Louis (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 8, 08 at 22:56

This was in the road median at or near Midland and Page in Overland, MO.

Sorry for the low quality of the pic. Was working so I couldn't get out of the truck and get a new one. The brightness of the mini-flowers really got my attention and I want some!

Thanks for your troubles,
Marc

What flower is this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What wildflower is this planted in St. Louis County

I am stumped! I think I would try to find out who maintains and plants these flowers and ask.

o

It's hard to tell on my monitor what color the flowers are but if they were bright pinkish red, it reminds me of red valerian. Does the gray foliage in the lower right belong to the same plant? That is definitely not red valerian.

o

Looks like one of the Asclepias species (Milkweed), maybe Asclepias incarnata.
Anyone of of the MO native species of Asclepias would be an attractive garden plant, plus, comes with a huge bonus. They are Butterfly magnets!
Check the link below for a photo from Missouri plants website. Click on the BACK link at the bottom of the page to view all of the native Asclepias species.
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Asclepias incarnata

o

As soon as I saw the pic I too thought it looked like a milkweed, but usually has leaves on the stems.

Pam

o

It does SORTA look like milkweed. Thinking like a tree forum guy here, maybe its a long stem cultivar or something.

This weekend I'm headed to the Botanical Garden. Maybe I'll see something labeled there that resembles it!

o

I took this SLIGHTLY better pic at MOBOT this sunday. They had it tagged "Asclepias curassavica - Blood-flower" and looking it up on the internet it is indeed a version of milkweed.

Razorback and Pam you all are good!

Multimedia message

o

I've grown that myself and still got it wrong. lol
There are lots of butterfly lovers growing it for Monarchs who like it for a host plant and will visit the flowers too. I've only seen it for sale at a nursery once here and bought a couple. I've grown it from seed also. Someone in the Butterfly Forum sent me seeds. The ones I purchased in pots bloomed a lot better though.

I noticed it got a Plant of Merit award from Mobot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mobot - Asclepias curassavica

o

Mystery solved! Thanks for letting us know.

o

bump for Christie. I bought seeds for this last year. I didn't get them planted and don't know how viable they are but I have seeds if you want some.

o

I had forgotten about this thread Helen. Thanks for the offer but I have seeds I saved from some I grew about three years ago. They might still be good. I have them set aside to try. I may get low germination.

Monarchs definitely prefer tropical milkweed over asclepias tuberosa (butterfly weed) to lay eggs on. My tropical milkweed got completely defoliated from all the Monarch cats munching on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here