Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pics from the Yard Tour

Posted by gldno1 z6MO (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 13, 09 at 4:54

There are just a few stragglers here and there.

My favorite right now has to be the Dwarf Nandina. I love those bunches of red berries:

From Fall 2009

Still have a few reblooming iris.

and then the Endless Summer,

This thing that has totally not impressed me so far, began to set blooms late summer. Maybe she just needed to grow up and get some age on her.

The last of the rudbeckias

I have liked all stages of Limelight Hydrangea.

A few nicotiana among the wispy eragrostis grass that has to go.

This snap is from seeds my sis gave me. I keep trying to get a good picture of the color, but just can't. It is a very dark red

and the lamiums. I love this groundcover. It has had blooms since early spring. I think I have 3 or 4 varieties and want more.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pics from the Yard Tour

Your pictures and comments are very informative. I have never tried lamium because it reminds me of the winter weeds I have everywhere. I thought it might take over. I like ajuga the common purple for a ground cover. I'm glad to hear you like lamium. If I see some on sale, I'll get it. Also I have seen limelight on sale 50% off and if I had a spot I would try it. The trouble is it needs a damp spot near the roof of a building that is the only way I keep the water lovers. I have always loved the dark velvet red tall snaps. We had them when I was a kid.

o

Helen, this hydrangea is planted in the front yard in the new shrub border so all it gets is rain. I do keep it heavily mulched and this year we have had plenty of rain. I can water all those shrubs if need be by dragging lots of hose around.

I have ajuga too and like it very much. I need to move it around to fill in lots of places in beds.

The lamium seems to always have some blooms which is nice. I have also put it in pots and hanging baskets and it either self seeded or dropped some pieces down because I now have it where I have never had it before. I think I have a silver leafed one with a white bloom too.

I usually stay away from anything that requires lots of special care... I hope the Limelight doesn't become that.

Don't buy any lamium. If you remind me next spring I will send you several pieces. I just pull up some stems with roots and stick them in the ground.

o

Nice photos Glenda. Love that red snapdragon!

I'm jealous that you have hydrangea blooms this late. I do think that hydrangeas seem to get better with age - at least mine have been that way. Age makes them hardier.

I like lamium too. It looks good under hostas. I had a huge patch of 'White Nancy' that seemed to be doing really well and it just disappeared all at once. I've been afraid to try it again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here