Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Week of November 26-Dec 2

gldno1
16 years ago

The week is half over, but thought I would try again to get some response.

Ceresone, where are you? Christie, and all others!!

We spent yesterday beginning work on cleaning up the pole barn . What a job, had to pull screw nails out of three sheets of 16-foot roofing, actually pulling it through the roofing. Maybe if we work a couple of hours each day we can get it done before the Christmas holidays....grandkids played all over it on Thanksgiving!

So far on catalogs: Pinetree and Miller (a few other supply ones, but I don't count those and they go directly into the trash can).

I have up about a half flat of seedling daylilies up under the lights on the back porch. I want to try some lettuce seeds out there. It stays pretty cool so should be ok.

We got about 1/2 inch of rain last week and it was badly needed.

Here is what we are cleaning up:

You have to ignore the time/date stamp. She has that set wrong.

Comments (15)

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

I'm still here. I've just been busy remodeling my kitchen. Wishing it was already done. I need to be getting ready for Christmas instead.

That looks like a job Gld! Hope your back is in better shape than mine.

A question - Will Round-Up work this time of year on winter weeds?

• ceresone
    16 years ago

Well, I'm glad I didn't post this morning, the mail brought Vermont Bean, and Gurneys--I was feeling deprived!!
    Seems the first catalogs get the orders here. I need carrots, snap peas (going to try)Sweet corn, Moon and Stars melon, Lettuce mix, radish mix,Cauliflower (dont laugh, William, going to try colors again)Kale, Potatoes, also Sw. Pot. and onions Plus 2 apples and 18 raspberries.
    Everything else I have, plus put quite a bit in freezer storage (seeds)
    Tomatoes I'm going to plant Ananas Noire, Curo De Turo, Pineapple,(or Mr. Stripey) for canning, Opalaka, Stripe Roman and perhaps Amish Paste, toss up on the last one.
    I sprinkled cottenseed meal over my garden leaves, hoping to speed them up composting. Cant convince Hubby to try what Compost forum advises!
    Haven't decided on the hoop trellis this year, long end of my garden is panels, so I may just put climbers there. Except for my tomatoes and cucumbers.
    My, Glenda, your barn is a mess, but still, you were lucky. I hate pulling nails, but worse yet,I hate saving them!!My BIL used to save every bent nail, cans and cans of them.
    Christie, I think for Roundup to do a good job, the plant has to be growing, dont know if they're still growing enough to transmit it to the roots.
    Lets hope for a mild winter, everyone, bugs might be bad next year, but maybe can keep my horses fat!!

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

that must be the clean up from the bad storm you had. good luck.

made three leaf bins today from wire to compost leaves in. am brewing some compost and black strap molasses tonight and tomorrow to put on the leaves to try and help speed up decomposition. going to try ammonium nitrate on one and the home brew on the other.

need very few seeds for spring. i do need cherokee purple, wenks yellow hots, german red strawberry [ wrong seeds from supplier last yr ]and maybe a couple more.

back to the sawmill tomorrow and think i am going to use black locust for my straw bale beds.

one armadillo is down for the count. a drop of lead in the ear works every time.

william- who has gone astray in yellville!

• peaceofmind
    16 years ago

Christie, I've read on another forum about the disaster that preceded your kitchen remodeling. Very scary situation and could have been much worse. It seems to be taking a long time for repairs but I admit I've never been involved in a kitchen remodeling. Will it be done by Christmas? My sister just had her cabinets painted inside and out and she hated every minute of it.

Gldno, what happened to your pole barn. You've probably talked about it here but I've forgotten.

I'm impressed with the enthusiasm with which some of you are discussing next years garden. I was thoroughly sick of gardening by the end of August. I told myself I was going to cut the size of my vegetable garden by 2/3 and plant shrubs in my perrenial beds to reduce maintainence there. I have planted several shrubs but I may not shrink my veggie garden. There are just so many things I love to grow and my enthusiasm seems to be making a comeback. I may turn a big part of it into a pumpkin patch. I carve the grandkids name into the pumpkins when they are very small and as the pumpkin grows, the name gets bigger and calluses over. I think I enjoy it as much as the kids. I wonder if pumpkin vines would supress bermuda grass? It has taken over a corner of the garden in spite of my best efforts.

William, I laughed at your astray in yellville sign off. Just don't stray too far.
    Anise

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

can't go astary too far here. you would end up in flippin or pyatt. population here is a whopping 1321.

william

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Christie, I thought I responded about the herbicide, but it went into cyberland. I agree with Ceresone, plant must be growing and the stuff is too expensive to take a chance imo.

We remodeled the kitchen in 2004. Good luck with it and I hope it is done by Christmas.

William you and Ceresone are revving up my gardening enthusiasm again. I was definitely planning to cut back ala Anise. I still will be cutting back on perennial beds and using more shrubs and grasses.

BTW, the barn was torn down by a tornado that just dipped down on our farm and the neighbors and back up and disappeared. Between the ice storm and it, we have had lots of $$$$$$ of repairs and replacement of electronics.

Yesterday was spent shopping so nothing outside got done. Hope we can get back out this afternoon.

Glenda

• seedsonshirt
    16 years ago

Not too much happening here in Mtn. Home. I was bored, so I started a blog, but I can't seem to get it listed here... I'm slowly getting the greenhouse under way - got the perimeter dug up, and started hewing cedar logs for the frame. Been watching the cover crops grow...

I'll drop in a few pics...

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/RealSuki/johno/pbkubota2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/RealSuki/johno/greenhouselogs7toolspb.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/RealSuki/johno/pbturnips.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/RealSuki/johno/pbmustardoats.jpg[/IMG]

• seedsonshirt
    16 years ago

Well, I'd like to share some pictures with my Ozarks buddies, but the usual method isn't working...

Can't I use photobucket here?

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

seedsonshirt, use the HTML code under the picture on your photobucket account; that works for me. Right click on it and it is copied, then paste in your message. Anyway, that is what I do.

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Copy the line underneath that says "tag". I had to use a different line on another forum but the tag line is the one that works on Gardenweb. Try try again.

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Gld - My weeds sure LOOK like they're growing. I'll wait for a warm sunny day and see what happens when I drench them.

Anise - We were supposed to be finished remodeling by Christmas but may not be. I've decided not to care one way or the other. lol Glad I didn't schedule a big family reunion at my house for Christmas this year. That would've been so stressful trying to get it all done in time.

• razorback33
    16 years ago

Glenda...Sorry you lost the barn. What is supporting the panel at top of photo. Looks like it's levitating! :Q)
    Seriously, good luck with the cleanup and watch out for nails, rusty or not.
    I saw my first tornado when very young, near Mtn. View (ARK). It cleaned off the top of a mtn west of us and was overhead when it passed us, all crouched in the root cellar.

Cristie... I've been through the kitchen remod scenario, in 2003, due to a small fire in the basement that did a lot of structural damage to the 1st level floor.
    It started badly, as the person who did the measurements, made several mistakes and we wound up with cabinets that were wrong size. The delivery people refused to set the cabinets in the kitchen, they were going to leave them on the porch(uncovered). I immediately called to cancel the job. They then had second thoughts and put them in the kitchen. Installation crew came to install them. Don't know why I did, but I asked what they we going to charge. It was double the estimate! They were not allowed to start the job and I wound up doing the entire installation myself. Having to wait on new cabinets, to replace wrong ones ordered, really extended the time. I began to think I would never finish.
    Good luck! and be very cautious working with all of that splintered wood, sheet metal and nails!
    Rb

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Another pretty cool and very windy day here. So............I decided to make bagels instead of doing anything outside.

Got my Fine Gardening magazine yesterday and have already read it. Sometimes very good and sometimes not.

Catalogs: McClure and Zimmerman, Totally Tomatoes, and Seymour's Selected Seed.

Rb, I would have to go back and take a look. Granddaughter took the picture. It is probably supported by a bale of hay.
    We were so busy working just outside of the lot that I didn't pay much attention to inside it. We are now behind three days working on it! Oh well, best laid plans, etc.

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

beautiful day here today. low 44 this morning and about 63 high. cut rocks, grass and bagged leaves for 3 hrs. got my leaf bins finished and one has ammonia nitrate and the other has been soaked with molasses, compost and alfalfa tea that has been aerated.

if the weather is as nice tomorrow, off to the white river for some trout fishing.

another armadillo bit the dust today.

brewing lots more alfalfa tea!!!!!!!!!!!

william