Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bornagain_gw

Gardening in the Ozarks

bornagain_gw
15 years ago

I plan on making a trip to Batesville, Ar Thanksgiving to see my brother and also check out some land. Anyone from this area? The land is between Batesville and Cave City I lived there years ago, but have been in Iowa almost 35 years. I know that I'll be giving up nice soft black dirt and having to deal with rock and more critters. I have over 300 varieties of hosta and about anything else that will grow in the shade. Any comments or suggestions appreciated. The warmer winter are luring me. Are there many berm homes down there? Sorry kind of off gardening, but thought I'd throw it in.

Comments (8)

• bunny6
    15 years ago

I don't live in that area, but I have visisted Cave City many times, because I have relatives there. My aunt has gardens and she has to deal with some rocks, but she has nice shade gardens. It is beautiful country. I was wondering what is a berm home? Good luck on your land search!
    Ann

• bornagain_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Berm home is an earth sheltered home. Have a friend here that has a real nice one with conventional roof. Nothing inside like I'd always imagined. As much as I love gardening I don't want to garden on my roof!! Wih enery costs and tornados it's worth looking into. Walls are solid concrete earth on three side.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Wow that does sound energy efficient.
    What about windows and sun light? Is that only on one side?
    I will have to look this up I really never knew any one who lived in one so have no idea what it is. time to learn something new!
    Hope you have great luck finding what you are looking for.
    I have been to Iowa many times. I was always mesmerized by all of the rows of crops I could see for the interstate.
    Bonnie

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Thanks, now I know what one is. When I lived in Pheonix, AZ., there were many berm homes in the desert. We only have one here that I have saw and it is built into the side of a hill. The front has a door and two windows. I don't know about Batesville, but were I live here in Russellville, people that have basements have alot of water problems. Majority of our homes do not have a basement, because of it.Those tornados are nightmares. Wish I had a berm home when those sirens goes off.

Good luck on your shade garden info.. I am sure that someone will join in to give you more information about the area you are interested in.
    Ann

• helenh
    15 years ago

My neighbors built an underground house that had a large skylight in the middle. Under the skylight was a room with a tile floor. They had plants in it. There were windows all around this room, so you could see the light way back in the house. This room was a consession by the husband to the wife who really didn't want an underground house. I don't think they had moisture problems but I have condensation in my basement. It doesn't leak. The walls are cool and in humid weather I have to run a dehumidifier or it has a smell. I am sure there are experts who might know how to avoid the moisture problems.

• seedsonshirt
    15 years ago

I'm in the Mountain Home area, to the Northwest of Batesville/Cave City. I've been there on several occasions, but not very recently. I used to have a friend from Evening Shade (remember that tv show?) One thing I can tell you for sure is that Cave City watermelons are famous for miles around! You might find an earth-bermed house there, I just couldn't say if it would be for sale... You see them around here every now and then. Good luck home hunting, and have a happy Thanksgiving.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

With your hostas - I'm guessing that they will need more shade in Arkansas than where you are now since you would be farther south. You probably know that some trees are better to garden under than others. Hopefully you can find land with some deep-rooted trees like oak. I would not be embarrassed to take a shovel along before I made my final decision so you can see what the ground is like.

We had to blast when we built our walk-out basement home but the neighbors on each side of us didn't. We hit solid limestone and after a few days of blasting, we decided it was deep enough. The equipment is expensive and if I'm not mistaken, some places you're not allowed to blast. You have to use other methods which might be even more expensive. If you're set on having a berm home, you may want to talk to a builder in that area to see what their experience has been.

Have a happy Thanksgiving and let us know how your trip goes.

• ceresone
    15 years ago

Just a "aside" I have a friend in Questa, New Mexico, she visited a friend in the "high desert" near there. Their underground berm home was built with tires, front was a solarium, they even grew oranges. entire home was off-grid, wind and solar power. home was set up so grey water was recirculated to automatically water the greenery.
    Naturally, seepage not a problem there.