Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roasted Tomatoes

Posted by sunnyside1 z6/SW Mo. (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 8:26

I have an excess of tomatoes, still, and found a delicious way to use them. I cut the bad parts out, then into 2-3 inch pieces (didn't peel). Put down a slick of olive oil in a big pizza pan, then rolled the tomatoes in, lightly salted, peppered, and put in a 275 degree oven.

It took about 4 hours, and I didn't turn them. They carmelized, and are absolutely delicious. Let them cool, then put in freezer bags. Can't wait to use them for spaghetti this winter. Very "tomato-ey" -- and the house smelled wonderful.

I had some fresh green peppers which I prepared like the tomatoes and did them at the same time. They charred and tasted like candy. I froze them as well. You might like to try --

When Romas come down from $1.28 or so a pound at Wal-Mart to their winter price of $0.84, I'm going to do more. The toms I roasted were all kinds, but I didn't grow Romas this year.
Sunny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roasted Tomatoes

Thanks for the spur to action, Sunny. I need to do something too. I picked green tomatoes and some of them don't look good enough to give away. I am still taking tomatoes to my friend and his sister and some to the boys at the senior citizens center. I am about out of good ones. I have a bunch I throw out every few days. It is funny so far these tomatoes are tasting good. In Oct. when it was rainy and cold at night, I thought some of the tomatoes had no flavor. These are getting very ripe by the time I eat them and are better than the vine ripened ones in late Oct.

o

If I had an abundance of tomatoes, I would probably make tomato juice out of them this year. I really enjoy drinking a glass of tomato juice in the morning with an egg on toast. It's low in sugar and therefore not high in calories, and so, so good for you.

Those roasted tomatoes sound yummy, Sunny. I love roasted veggies of almost all kinds.

o

I used a little pack of frozen roasted tomatoes in spaghetti sauce last night. A little bit of bottled sauce, some minced garlic and the tomatoes.

YUM!
Sunny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here