Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ceresone

Corn Gluten?

ceresone
15 years ago

Ever tried it? did it work?

Supposed to keep seeds from germinating. I'm afraid my compost will still have Bermuda Grass seeds in it-so I'm trying it, says it works on Bermuda Seeds.

I see it can be put on onion Plants, Wonder if it works on Potatoes?

Last year Wall-Mart was selling weed preventer to this elderly lady (older than me!) for her garden, was telling her that no weeds seeds would come up. I couldnt resist telling her that NO seeds would come up, and to think of that in terms of her garden. You could tell that neither her-or the clerk-had thought of that.

Comments (17)

• helenh
    15 years ago

I thought it was expensive for a by product. If it works, it would be worth it. Keep us posted. Bermuda grass is a hard test. At my mothers where they dumped a mountain of wood chips (electric utility) it came up through two feet of mulch. All my good sunny spots have bermuda grass. I fed bermuda hay over the fence (I only had a few cows). That was probably one of my worst gardening blunders.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I don't know where my Bermuda came from. When we moved over to this farm back in 1991, there was none! Now I have a huge spot in the west calf lot and another huge patch near the garden and near another flower bed...I can't afford that killer for Bermuda Grass. So I will just be spraying the edges of the garden again with glyphosphate.

I think I bought a 50 lbs bag of corn gluten and another of ground alfalfa a couple of years ago to use in the garden. I did use some of the alfalfa in planting holes....need to check what is in that other bag. If I thought it would work, I would get lots of it and spread around. I have some winter annual weeds in the flower beds right now that just thrive on frost.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

The corn gluten I bought at the feed store worked for me. But I wasn't trying to get rid of Bermuda. I have been using it a little at a time on different areas of my lawn and it is slowly getting rid of the creep charlie and one other I have a problem w/chick weed. I put it on in early spring and again in early fall.
    My mother uses it under her rose bushes to help w/ fungus and under her wisteria bush (tree). that thing is so big it needs it own zip code.
    Bonnie

• ceresone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I dont think corn gluten alone could control Bermuda (notice I always put it in capitals?) It grows 3 ways, seed, tip rooting, and underground. I'm just afraid I would still have viable seed in my compost (probably). I think that would make me give up gardening.
    We had a little patch behind the shed when we moved here, 42 years ago, now, its everywhere!

• gldno1
    15 years ago

My gluten turned out to be cotton seed meal that I used for my blueberry bushes for the acid content.

I definitely want to try the gluten next spring.

Nothing, I repeat nothing kills Bermuda Grass!

• ceresone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm with you, Glenda! I've tried Round-up, Over-the-top, solarizing, smothering, pulling. cussing, and it thrives. ever tell you about using landscape fabric for about 4 years? Oh it was hard to take up, with Bermuda growing thru it. Black Plastic? Must've had it on a flower bed 10 years, with mulch. Took it up--had white roots running everywhere. Its supposed to be excellent for horses, but suprisingly, it didnt ever die, when they killed everything else.
    Like I've said before, if world ever has a nuclear attack, (God Forbid) there will be a sprig of Bermuda Grass survive--with a Roach sitting on it.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

How about this DH set some large round bales on some and they were there for 5.5 months. When he moved, them I pulled up a white root about 5 feet long! No wonder it makes good summer pasture....however, I have a patch of it in the alley way where I am milking my cow and have left her in there overnight and she has never touched it..and didn't before it frosted on it either. Maybe the grazing kin is different.

• bunny6
    15 years ago

I have a love/hate relationship with Bermuda Grass. I love it, because I have a building in my backyard that houses a boat and a trailer. My husband drives back and forth over the grass to bring the items in and out. The grass survives all that abuse. I hate it because, I can't keep it out of my flower beds, so every week I have to weed. Don't like to live with it and can't live without it.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I read somewhere that you could drive wooden roof shingles down at the edges of flower beds deep enough it wouldn't get under. They talked about buying broken bundles....Could that work for you. I have too much space to do the edgings. I just spray carefully now and then with glyphosphate and then watch for those little green sprouts that made it by to the beds.

• mulberryknob
    15 years ago

We used corn gluten a few years ago on the asparagus patch to prevent annual weeds from sprouting. Used it once in the spring and again in the fall if I remember correctly. It kinda worked, but we still had weeds germinating in the middle of the summer when we couldn't get into the patch to spread more. Now we spread leaves over the bed in the fall,which doesn't work any better--we still have to weed midsummer--but it's cheaper and it keeps the ground mulched most of the year.

• helenh
    15 years ago

Good idea. I envy anyone with an asparagus patch. I keep planting it but it is not in good enough soil. I will mulch mine with leaves today. I got a lot last weekend and two bales of fall decoration straw I scrounged. There was a short article in Organic Gardening mag that said corn gluten was good for lawn weeds but not so great for beds. It is a good organic fertilizer they said. Sounds to me like the seed sprouting suppression is brief then it rots and acts as a fertilizer.

• mulberryknob
    15 years ago

Asparagus needs a neutral to slightly alkaline soil, hard to come by here. If you do use leaves, you may want to also spread either woodashes thinly or agricultural lime to counteract the acidity of the leaves--or use leaves that have rotted for a year. We have a woodstove, so that's where the ashes go, after they are very cool, of course.

• helenh
    13 years ago

I bought some corn gluten pellets at the feed store not the expensive herbicide product. I hope they are nearly the same thing. I haven't used them yet. I read that it suppresses weed seed by making the top of the ground very dry. In wet weather it doesn't work. I don't know if I agree with the woman who says that about all her "garden myths". She lives in the North West and doesn't like pine bark mulch which I like very much. In Washington they float the logs in Puget Sound salt water so some of her ideas are for her area.

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down to find corn gluten

• ceresone
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thought I'd follow up on this--I used it on my onion plants--perfect!! BUT-you have to reapply it every 6 weeks!!!

• helenh
    13 years ago

Well hello ceresone! Did you use the feed or the expensive product?

• ceresone
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bought 50# at the feed store--

• helenh
    13 years ago

Good. I wouldn't pay $10 or so for those small bags. It is snowing here but at least it isn't bitterly cold.