Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Fall Color l0 Days Ago (White now!)

gldno1
9 years ago

Miscanthus by cellar:

One of my very few remaining burning Bushes (euonymous alatus)

I should preface this by saying we finally had the overgrown front shrub border cut to the ground last spring. I am letting a few things re-grow and hope to keep it under control now. That is where the burning bushes were. This one shown above is a seedling in the front yard that I let grow..

This is my very slow-growing oak leaf hydrangea,

The next is a young redbud tree from a seedling I replanted in the front shrub border between the house and the road. No color now but I like how the seeds look hanging down. No wonder I have lots of seedlings pop up!

These are the trees in the west yard. The pin oak had a wonderful color this year, a very dark burgundy,

and the October Glory red maple got one colorful section first,

It got full color just before this last blast of weather hit. Now most leaves are on the ground. Hard to believe all this was just l0 days ago.

Comments (4)

• helenh
    9 years ago

Thank you for the lovely pictures. Your yard looks very nice Glenda. I don't know where I could aim a camera here and not get something unsightly. When it was hot I let my garden grow up in weeds. Seeing the copperheads in August stopped my evening visits to the garden. My other excuse could be that I'm old but that wouldn't fly here. At least you got some nice pictures and we can look at those. It is very wintery looking out there now and too cold for me.

My computer is not loading pictures at the moment or I would show you my deer hunters. Years ago I let a young man bow hunt because he was so cute in his outfit. Now he is bringing his eight year old son all decked out in camo and with a bright orange vest and a gun. I was sorry I said he could hunt years ago but now that I see him spending time with his boy I think it is OK. I had cattle and you have to sell the calves or you would be overrun. I understand some animals were meant to be food. I just have to not make pets of the deer. He sees bobcats just behind my house with his game camera.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Helen, you must live in a pretty isolated area if he gets bobcats on a game cam. I have heard they are around here, but we have never seen one or got a picture.

We do have new puppies........

• helenh
    9 years ago

New puppies. I want to know more. I have never seen a bob cat even over at my mother's farm which has a steep hill and bluff behind the house. I saw one on the road dead near my property once and someone took the dead body before I could even get a picture. It was spotted with big back feet. I think you could have them and never see them. My nearest neighbor said one walked up her driveway in broad daylight, but her yard is in the woods with many trees and lots of shade in her yard.

• christie_sw_mo
    9 years ago

So glad you got out and took some photos Glenda. I didn't get around to it this year.
    Some of they hybrid maples seem to turn red much earlier than others. The tree my daughter inherited when they bought their house was late to turn and the freeze got it before they got to enjoy it for very long. Disappointing.

I saw what I thought might be a bobcat jumping over a fence once but it was barely light out and I couldn't be sure. I definitely did see one that had been hit on a road near me and called the MDC. I thought it was amazing to see one so close to Springfield. They were not thrilled. Apparently they're common, just nocturnal and rarely seen. This one was not a lot larger than a big house cat but stockier and its feet were much larger.