Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jspeachyn5

Guess what...

jspeachyn5
15 years ago

Let me take a walk back to the ice storms of the past year.

I had lots of trees down and some on the hwy right of way to the property line.

Well, they are here. I could hear chain saws and looked out. The hwy dept is out the cleaning up the mess finally! It is a very good day indeed.

I have been mowing around the piles of limbs and I moved all I could by myself. So glad they have gotten around to me before it starts to snow again.

Maybe there won't be so many spiders next year.

Well now that I think about it. I may get some now that they are disturbing their home.

Bonnie

Comments (6)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Bonnie, that is a bit slow! It looks like the road crews have clear cut under most power lines since the ice storm....hopefully we won't have another like last year.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm sure glad to hear that. Maybe you will be ok if it happens again.
    They didn't cut or trim up anything to prevent more damage. Just cleaned up the large trees etc they had to cut off the down lines last year. So lets hope we don't get it again.
    Do you have to go break the ice for the cattle? Or do you have something else set up during the winter other than ponds?
    That was never one of my all time favorite jobs. I always felt like I was going to slip into the pond/ice.
    The other thing about winter on the farm was I always felt sorry for the "stray" cow that would give birth during that time. We normally tried to have them in the spring, but nature has her way a lot.
    I looked out a little while ago and they had left. (road crew). So I called to find out why. They had done everyones mess but mine. Because all of the vine from the lady next door had grown all over the tree on the fence and limbs I had piled up by it. So they came back now and got mine to. I was a little nervous there for a moment.
    This will make it so much easier to work down there.

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Bonnie,
    I am glad they finally came and clean up the trees. It did take them awhile, but better later than never. I saw crews today cutting brush underneath powerlines. I guess they were getting ready for winter.
    Ann

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Bonnie - I had to double check the date on your post to see if it was an old one that had been brought back to the top. It's hard to believe you had to wait so long. They must've been way behind. I don't know of anyone around here that had to wait that long but the crews were behind all summer keeping the grass mowed along the roadsides.
    They have been talking about the brush from the ice storms still being a fire hazard especially now that there are dry leaves too.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Bonnie, we will be ok no matter what. Right after that last ll-day disaster I told DH we were getting too old for running back and forth trying to keep a generator going. So, we had a propane automatic one installed that is large enough to run the entire farm. It is hooked directly into the propane tank and comes on and goes off automatically. What a relief to have it. We have used it a few times during our regular little outages we have on rural electric.

As for the cattle, we have an all-weather spring on the farm that runs into a concrete stock tank so that is taken care of.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is great to hear gldno1.
    Winter on the farm is a hard life for anyone.
    Anything that will make life a little easier is great in my book.
    We had a coach from the school where our children went ask us how we could feed our 5 children and keep them so healthy.
    We replied, we have our own meat source! He just laughed.

Bonnie